20; Better Off Alone

"Tell me this is a joke." Harley breathed, standing in the doorway with her arms hanging limply by her sides as Erica threw a pair of jeans into her bag. "Er."

She winced at the nickname, looking up slowly at her best friend.

"I'm sorry." Erica whispered, tears forming in her eyes. "I didn't know it would be like this when I said yes."

"So you're just gonna leave?" She asked, letting out a bitter laugh as she held out her arm in wait. "Huh? You're just gonna leave your mom, and your dad, and me?"

"You could always come with us." The blonde froze at this, her hands stilling in the middle of running then through her hair.

"Us?" She spoke softly, taking a deep breath.

"Boyd, Isaac and I." Erica replied, her mouth falling into an 'o' shape of realization. "He didn't tell you?"

"No." Harley shook her head, clenching her jaw. "He didn't."

"Harley," She got up and crossed the room, pulling her into a tight hug. "Im sorry."

"No you're not." She chuckled, looking up at the ceiling without returning it. "If you really felt bad, you wouldn't be leaving."

"I don't want to die." Erica whispered, pulling back to look at her. "I'm terrified, okay?"

"You could just as well die out there." Harley argued, gesturing out the window.

"Please, you have to understand."

"I don't understand, Erica!" She yelled, shaking her head with wide eyes. "We're supposed to be a pack. We're supposed to be family. What the hell am I going to tell people, huh?"

"I don't know." She sighed, rubbing her face and sitting on the edge of her bed. "I have no idea."

Harley's eyes fell shut, her hands curled into fists as she sat down next to her.

"Please, just promise me something." The blonde pleaded, looking over at her.

"Anything." Harley pulled Erica into a hug, her head resting on her shoulder.

"Be safe."

● ● ●

"What are you feeling right now?"

"Like I don't need to be here." Harley scoffed, crossing her arms and sitting back in her chair. "I have a game to prepare for."

"Let's talk about the game." Morrell suggested, her voice calm. "Are you nervous?"

"I'm never nervous before a game." She gave her a sarcastic smile, the woman chuckling in response.

"It seems you have quite the confidence." She observed, nodding her head.

"Duh."

"Maybe we should talk about the runaways." Morrell leaned forward, watching her carefully, almost analyzing her like a rat in a lab. "Boyd, Erica, and Isaac."

"What about them?" Harley raised an eyebrow, almost challenging her.

"I know you and Erica were always close." Morrell sighed with a shrug. "It seemed you were getting close with Isaac too."

"That doesn't mean I know where they are." The blonde leaned forward as well, a smirk on her lips. "I know what you're doing. You're trying to get some kind of reaction, some kind of break that tells you how oh, so, insecure I am. But here's the thing, shrinky dink. I'm not. So let's stop wasting my time so I can go."

"Ms.Finstock." The girl's words didn't phase her, a sly smile on her face. "I believe you may be lashing out because your friends are slowly deserting you."

"Excuse me?" She scoffed, raising her eyebrows in shock and anger.

"Erica, Isaac, Lydia, Jackson." Morrell listed off, cocking her head to the side. "I think it may be affecting you pretty harshly."

"Some of us are better off alone." Harley pushed herself out of her chair, slinging her bag over her shoulder and walking out of the office and down the hall. She was practically vibrating with anger, the girl wanting nothing more than to punch something, someone. The blonde had practically been a walking time bomb the last few days, since her and Erica's conversation. After they had said their final goodbyes she had driven to the depot, the subway car already wiped clean of Isaac's belongings.

In her rage she ran into someone, the person steadying her and looking at her in worry.

"Are you okay?"

"Jackson, just leave me alone." She snapped, shoving past him.

"Harley," Jackson grabbed her wrist, stopping her in her tracks. "If you see me coming towards you on the feild, run the other way. Please."

"Why?" Harley threw her hands up, shaking her head. "Why do you care if you hurt me?"

"Because I've done it too many times."

________________________

Not edited.

THIS IS SHORT AND LAME AF IM SORRY BUT THE NEXT CHAPTER IS UP IN A FEW.

Vote and comment ❤️

Xx