Chapter Five: When Life Gives You Friends...

I was too mad at the world to go downstairs for supper, so the meal ended up coming to me, when my sister Kylie brings up my food on a tray. I recognize the green tray instantly as the one we used to use back then for my mother and father when it was either Mother's Day or Father's Day. Still weeping from my pillow, I look up as she sets the tray on my bed and leaves the room without a word.
Usually on a regular day, Kylie would not be acting this nice to me voluntarily, but then I remember what she told me that other night about us having to get along at some point, and I am suddenly relieved that someone is here to look out for me. I took one bite out of the tray of spaghetti that was in front of me before laying back down to weep some more. I cry myself to sleep.
In the morning, I wake to the sounds of my phone chiming like crazy. I don't have the heart to check it, but I remember that we don't have school today. That makes me feel a little better about the whole Leo being in Chicago for good situation.
When I look at my phone, I see that Grace, Tara, Rory and David have been texting me, wondering why I wasn't answering like I usually do. When I see Grace's last text, I slump my head onto the pillow again with a loud thud. She's bringing the whole group over to my house. They should be here any second. And there's the doorbell. It just went off.
I grunt as I heave my blanket over my head, hoping I would disappear before they come upstairs. As suspected, that doesn't work, and soon they are all at my side, asking me hastily if I'm sick. If I'm okay. Because clearly I'm not. I feel broken.
"What's wrong?" Tara asks. Rory, on the other hand, has been scanning my room quickly before she picks up the letter of my fate from my desk. She reads it, goes pale, and then says, "Oh my god!" She shakes her head, covering her mouth in disbelief and shock.
David asks, "What is it?" He reaches for the poem which is still in her hands. She chucks it at him as she walks to me and gets me into a sitting position before pulling me into a sympathetic hug. She gets me. She gets everyone. Tara, David and Grace are all huddled around the poem that Grace now has in her hands, and Tara gasps when she realizes what the message is. Grace stares off into space, eyes wide in shock. Then she says to me, "You called me yesterday, then hung up right before I was able to answer. You changed your mind about telling me this?!"
I nod slightly. Then I remember that were talking about Leo and I burst into another round of tears. Rory only squeezes me harder, whispering, "It's alright. It's alright, its okay, Amanda. We'll figure something out."
Meanwhile, Grace is pacing around the room in worry. "What about the curse??" She demands to no one in particular. We all stop talking and look at her. She grabs the letter and waves it in the air. "Okay, I'm really sad that this is happening; I know how you feel, but we have worse things to worry about right now! Leo's not coming back for at least fourteen days, and that means the curse is going to happen. Did you try calling him?" She points the letter to me in question.
I nod, admitting to this secret. "I actually tried the first day he was gone, but I think something must've happened to his phone because it said that the number I was calling is no longer eligible."
Tara pipes in. "And we don't even know where he lives. This is bad." She keeps repeating "this is bad, this is bad, this is bad" under her breath as she goes to the hall to blow off some steam.
Rory says while doing the math, "We have to fix this within the next twelve days. If not, then we're sunk."
A/N: it's a good thing they're an excellent group of friends to be able to make this work!
Sorry that I hadn't been updating for a while. School can be a bore sometimes. But I've been getting some encouragement from a lot of you guys telling me that I should update and I suddenly felt the urge to do just that.
I hope you all enjoyed this little chapter that I literally just finished putting together!
Until next time, remember to vote, comment and keep on writing!
Thx