Chapter Seventeen: Past Grace

All I want to do right now is to spend time with the person who has been missing from my life these past couple weeks—Leo. Unfortunately, that is something that will have to wait until another time. I don't know when that time will be. I don't know if we'll be given another chance to be together, in the present world, not this past version of a dream.
The whole lot of us have been forced to walk to Angelina's Sweet Repeats and Collectibles with stealth, not wanting to be seen by our past selves nor our past parents. I have realized after a few moments of walking in a cast that leaving my crutches behind in my greed of having Leo was maybe not one of my greatest ideas. Leo's helping me just fine though, letting me lean on his shoulder, using him as my replacement second leg.
Luckily, we get to the store not long after. We fling the door open—thank goodness it wasn't locked—and we walking in silently. Going through the plan in my head, I think about what we're going to do when we see Grace. We enter the back room and I see Grace sitting at a desk, seemingly drawing or writing something down in a notebook. Angelina is there; this is the first time I've seen her in a while. The duck shaped  birthmark on her cheek looks bigger than I've remembered it to be. This might be an indication of something; I just don't know what.
From where we're  hiding in a crouched position behind another old looking desk, we spy on Angelina and Grace as Angelina walks up to Grace and tells her something in a low voice. Angelina's voice suddenly makes Grace get startled and her pencil flies in alarm across the page. As Grace scrambles to fix her page, Angelina says, louder this time, "You should probably practice now, you're going to have to do this all the time some day."
The real Grace had once told us about this, how the day this was happening, Angelina wanted her to practice the enchantment that protects newborns in Willow Falls. Past Grace messed this try up, and she turned the enchantment into the one that made Leo and my curse only two weeks long instead of a year without talking. As long as we can help her fix this, make her recite the enchantment spell properly, then we can return back to the present where everything is back to normal.
Clearly all of us are thinking the same thing, because before anyone can argue, Rory stands up from her crouch and lets herself be seen by Angelina and Grace.
She says, "Hey girls! I just was wondering if I could quickly talk to Grace about something."
Angelina turns to look at Grace, then she crosses her arms, looking back at Rory. Angelina replies, "Sure, but first, I think it would be a good idea for Grace to rehearse her spell incantation first."

Rory tries to insist, but her voice falters when she sees that there's no way to convince Angelina. Angelina always got her way. Rory turns around in shame as Grace recites the incantation, and fails. The P.S's on the wall shake and I see that Leo and my own P.S's fall down. I realize that this is the reason why we're in this situation right now. Maybe Grace was too close to our P.S's, maybe that's why they were affected. Whatever the reason is, it's too late now to fix it. Because Grace already recited the spell, so we'll just have to hope that we get another chance to stop her tomorrow.

We run outside after that and I write a message to the real Grace to tell her that day one was a bust. Leo looks over my shoulder and watches with amazement at how Grace's message back appears suddenly on the page of the notebook. He says, "Wow, that's amazing."

Grace's message reads, Did you maybe think about what you could do differently on your second chance tomorrow, assuming there's a second chance in the first place?

I write back, I think that maybe Past Grace was standing too close to our PS's which is why they fell down. So maybe we should get her to stand farther away from the PS wall.

Another answer from Grace: Good idea. Good luck!

I close the book. Tara checks her phone for the time. "It's lunchtime. Let's go somewhere to eat. I'm starved."

David says to all of us, "We should go to get brunch or something. That would be fun."

I smile, "It would." We pick up my crutches on the way to the restaurant, and I can't help but keep grinning because I miss these days where we would just hang out, all of us, as friends.

A/N: I feel like this was the cheesiest chapter ever, but hopefully you guys liked it. We're almost at 1000 reads, which is so exciting! So remember to vote!

Right now, I'm finally reading the Harry Potter series for the first time, and I'm currently on the fourth book, the Goblet of Fire. It's really good so far, with its funny quirks and great story line.
So leave in the comments what you're currently reading, or if you have any recommendations for me! I'm in the middle of a YA-loving stage, so anything of the sort that you think I would like; leave those in the comments too!

If you follow my MDBC stuff too, I promise that I'll work on that soon; I just have a million and a half things to do for school right now. I mean it.

Remember to vote, comment and keep on reading and writing!