Beast of Burden

Alessio POV

The full moon had risen, bathing the clearing in its light. From its glow, her shadow was outlined against the sand as she lay between my front paws, sound asleep. My Luna, goddess, she was the most beautiful thing ever... Soft, cat-like purrs vibrated through her as her eyelids fluttered back and forth, naked body curling tight against my warm, fur-covered chest. And damn was her naked body hard not to stare at...! Tucking my paws around her, I lay my large Wolf head down on her shoulder and let my eyes close. I was oh so tired, but oh so happy- I had never been happier in my life, than in these past couple of days with my Mate, my Luna.

'Alessio!' Jerking out of my light doze, my eyes immediately darted worriedly to my Mate, only to find her still sound asleep and dreaming; so who had called my name?!? 'Me, you idiot! The one that doesn't even want to be here right now but has no choice because he's trapped in your head!'

My Wolf's growl was impatient and, to be so near to his Mate, he was damn sure angry. So angry, in fact, that he hardly waited until I was back with reality before he started growling and fighting for control over me- our body. He won, but only because I let him... Even as we stood to our full height, my Wolf was careful to avoid the outstretched limbs and curls of hair that was our Mate, as we gazed fondly down at her. 'Be careful that you don't wake her up, idiot... The last thing I want is for her to be disturbed...'

Rolling my eyes, I walked slowly to the edge of the water and tipped my head back, finding the full moon as it rose above the tops of the trees. 'You're the one in control here...' Our claws sank into the soft sand as the water lapped up around our ankles, then up to our belly. Wading even further out, our legs kicked just a little harder as we began swimming, movements barely even creating a ripple on the water. 'I hope Luna doesn't wake up anytime soon... If she does, and freaks out because we're not there, I'm not letting you loose for the next week! Consider that a threat, as well as a promise...!'

Wading out until our feet couldn't touch the soft sand of the shore, we swam in lazy circles with our head tipped towards the sky, letting out one long, sweet howl. In that howl, my Wolf and I spoke of our recent triumph- we had found our Mate and Pack's Luna.

An answering howl sounded through the night, so close that it sounded as if the Wolf was just on the shore. 'Alessio, I recognize that howl... That's our Mate!' Water splashed in waves around us as we whirled, eyes searching for the tiny She-wolf. Then, at last, we found her- our Mate...

She stood on shore, water lapping up around her paws, as her eyes locked with ours. 'Alessio,' she sighed through the Mind Link, voice soft with worry, and took a step further into the water. 'I woke up, and you weren't there... You scared me, Alessio.'

'That's it, no more Shifting for you!' My voice was harsh in my head as I spoke to my Wolf, worried anger running through my veins as I swam back towards the shore- towards our Mate. 'I'm sorry, Luna... I didn't even want to leave, but my Wolf took control of me; I knew that if he was strong enough to do that, who else knows what he would do? I didn't want you to get hurt, my little one...'

My Wolf had taken control of my body rather easily, that was more true than I would admit, so what else could he have done...?!? He wouldn't intentionally hurt his Mate, I knew, but accidents happen all the time- especially if he wanted to Mate with her. What would happen if I couldn't control him next time- and there would be a next time, there always was...

Wallowing in self-pity at my lack of ability to hold my Wolf back, I flinched on instinct as a warm, soft Wolf body brushed against mine- our Luna. Her blue eyes shone with understanding as she nodded her head on my shoulder, nose full of my scent. 'Your Wolf wanted out, Alessio, I can't blame you for that. It just scared me when you weren't there. Then, you howled, and it scared me even more- I didn't know if it was you, or someone else...' She must've sensed my continual self pity because the next thing I know, she was wrapped fully and completely around us. Her lips pulled up in a soft, awkward Wolf smile as her eyes twinkled.  'And don't be so hard on your Wolf, he was only doing what was natural- he only wanted out to run and play...'