Chapter 11: Homecoming

I want to die. Gabriel--Gabriel-freaking-Schiovani-- asked me to Homecoming. Okay, so he more or less told me to please save him from suffering a dance alone with Melody, but still. The thought alone is enough to make my heart flutter with happiness. There is a swell of elation in my chest that I dare not get too hopeful about, but the small, optimistic part of me can't help but want this.

When Melody returned, she was ecstatic to hear that I was going to go to Homecoming with her and Gabriel. She wrapped her arms around my neck and hugged me tight.

"We're all gonna be best friends forever," she had said softly.

"No."

I blink, looking between Katherine and Gally, trying to understand. "What? Why, no?" Judging by the flare in Katherine's nostrils, I bet that she could hear the hurt in my voice.

"I said, 'no' Luca. You cannot go to Homecoming. Not after going Krusnik at some party with a bunch of teenage kids," Her upper lip curls in disgust. "You are a danger to your classmates, to your house mates and to yourself."

"Katherine!" Gally gasps. She stands up. "No, that is not an acceptable way to speak to a child. Please, stop this now!"

Katherine bites her tongue, probably to hold back a bad remark. After a long pause, she turns to Gally and says, "You have to agree, Gally. Luca is too unstable to go out right now. Maybe next year, right?"

Hesitantly, Gally nods. "Yes, Luca, dear, I am sorry but I have to agree with Katherine. There will be lots of opportunities to lose control. Children are still haunted by Six coming down to the town, if they see another Krusnik is among them..." she trails off looking guilty. Finally, hazel eyes meet mine and she says, "I'm sorry, Luca."

A frustrated anger wells inside me. I clench my fists, a very familiar prickle in my eyes, but I bow my head and nod, "As you wish." My voice sounded defeated, even to me. I turn and run up the stairs, down the hall and to the last door facing the back of the house.

I close the door and slide to the ground. I feel as though all the energy has been sucked out of me. I can understand where Katherine and Gally were coming from and, in all reality, I have no right to be upset. I was the one that screwed up but a part of me couldn't help but be bitter. It's not my fault I went Krusnik over the weekend. It's what I am!

Sometimes life is just so hard! And I wanted so badly to spend more time with Gabriel and Melody. They were the only people, except for Gally, who have shown me any sort of kindness. I want so badly to have friends, people who want to spend time with me, people who I can confide in; who aren't scared of me.

Truthfully though, Gabriel and Melody don't know that I'm a Krusnik and when they find out, they might not want to be my friends anymore. And that scares me.

My mind goes back to the first time I met Melody and when she told me about Six. The look of pure horror on her face and blatant fear in her eyes were unmistakable.

Melody, for sure, would never accept me for what I really am. Gabriel still hasn't showed me much about his feelings toward Krusnik.

I wipe away the angry tears, change into pajamas and crawl into bed. I feign sleep when Gally knocks on the door for dinner. After a few minutes, she gives up and leaves. I bury my face in my pillow and will myself to sleep and not dream.

***

"What?!" Melody gasps, grabbing hold of my arm, her long manicured nails digging into the flesh beneath the t-shirt. "Why can't you come?"

"What's up?" Gabriel asks, sitting next to Melody.

Melody looks to the dark haired boy, still holding my arm hostage. "Luca can't come to Homecoming with us!" Melody practically screams, causing our classmates to look over at us.