Chapter 13: Stefan Schiovani

There is a cold chill all over my body. The people brush past me quickly, hurrying back to their class to gossip about what just happened. I think Melody keeps tapping my shoulder but I'm too stuck in my own mind to really hear what she's trying to say to me.

Someone grabs my arm, pulling me from my thoughts. It's Gabriel. He has his hand wrapped around my elbow; I seem to of stopped in the middle of the hall. It feels like I'm floating through the sea of students.

"Luca!" Melody yells right in my face, making me jump.

"Wha...?" I blink, confused.

"Your class. What is it?" she asks more quietly, wringing her hands nervously

It takes a minute to actually remember what it is. "English. Ms. Lilith." My eyes drop to the floor and I try to remember what it was that made me feel this way. Red hair. Ms. Lilith's class. Six. That's right. I... I think I'm in shock.

Trembling. My arm is trembling. But it's not me. Gabriel's hand is trembling. Shawn is rubbing Meolody's back--she's trembling too. Shawn's hetero-chromatic eyes are sharp and protective.

I look back down at the white, multi-speckled floor blankly. Is it just me, or is this town suddenly a breeding ground for Krusnik? It's like, I never seen a Krusnik or really heard about one until I came to this town and so far in just the few months I've been here, I've met two. What is it about this town that attracts my kind?

Something pushes my chin up. I lock eyes with Gabriel. We stand outside Ms. Lilith's classroom; the noise in the halls is slowly decreasing as students enter their rooms.

"Come over tonight," Gabriel says. It's not a question but I nod, too dazed to really think about anything. "All three of you." He looks at Shawn and Melody over my shoulder. He pauses for a moment before looking back at me, letting my arm go slowly. He runs his hands over his jeans in what I can only assume is some form of nervous habit.

"Let's meet in the cafeteria after class and walk over together," Melody suggests softly, straightening up.

"Good idea," Shawn says.

"Okay, everyone, return to class now," the teachers preach through the halls. I glance over at my science teacher, he's visibly pale. His voice is small and he looks like he's about to pass out.

"After school," Shawn repeats, and we all nod in unison and head to our classrooms.

I slump in my chair and stare at my book before me. The one I left forgotten when Five Hundred appeared. The letters are blurry and the words don't make sense. I give up, rubbing my eyes in exhaustion.

"Six and Five Hundred are together...?"

"That was weird how Five Hundred came to apologize..."

"She's nothing I've heard of in a Krusnik..."

"Ms. Lilith knows a Krusnik..."

"Scary..."

"...dangerous...."

"....worried..."

The words float around me, a lot of my other classmates concerns mirroring my own.

When Ms. Lilith walks in, the room falls silent. Everyone stares at her. She stops in the front of the class, looking at all of us in turn, a crease between her eyes. She clears her throat uncomfortably and shifts slightly.

"Class," Ms. Lilith starts, but pauses. She takes a moment to collect her thoughts before continuing, "I want each and everyone of you to listen to me. What you saw today between Ama--I mean, Five Hundred--and Six was bound to happen. I'm sorry that you were all there to witness but just listen, none of you are in any danger. The two of them... were wronged a very long time ago and it still affects them strongly to this day. Try not to worry yourselves in their affairs. I'm sure by next week it'll all be old news. " She smiles shakily, like she didn't quite believe it herself. "Oh, and before I forget, starting tomorrow, the councilors will take in anyone who wants to talk about what happened." She lets out a whoosh of air, smiling lightly at us. "Any questions?"