Chapter 30: The Coming Storm

This is it! This is the break that we have been looking for. It is February the third of the year eighteen fifty one. My longtime friend, and project partner, Gregor Mendel finally did it! He managed to isolate the gene within Adam that made it Adam! It was a great day in the lab. A true genius like Gregor Mendel took the praise bashfully before getting back to work.

An enviable dedication to be sure.

As genetics is not my forte, and Mendel's understanding of its complexity  is rudimentary at best, we had to simplify our understanding in order to move forward. The only way that it could be explained is that it is a mutation in his genetic code that has been happening over generations. How many generations is beyond our scope of understanding at the moment, but is a curious place to expand our knowledge later.

The manipulation of a special set of DNA strand that has yet to be determined as to what it once did in a human, is what provides Adam with the unique  qualities that make Adam so dangerous such as its ability to sustain itself on blood alone, heightened senses along with strength and speed and the evolutionary ability to elongate 'fangs' within its mouth that assists in both its killing and feeding habits.

Now that this project is finally starting to pick up  some momentum, we are going to push forward with all of our might. The team has not been so lively since we first began this project what feels like forever ago. The palpable excitement in the air is infectious and I find myself in a more jolly mood these days.

But, with the good, comes the bad. Adam's people are looking for him. Loyalty amongst animals, I say.  They have not located us yet, but they managed to capture a Commander in the Alliance, trying to get the information from him in regards to Adam's whereabouts.

He was let free as a warning. They want Adam back.

Unfortunately for them, I still have need of Adam. They are no where near us, for now, but Mendel has warranted needless caution. We are safe, and even if we are not, there is an entire army standing between us and them.

Adam's people  are looking for him, but they will not find him. This is a top secret location. No one will come for Adam. No one will take him back. No one will find him. Mendel is worried - he always is about something - but I am not. They will not take Adam away. It is where it needs to be. Helping us stop the madness Adam's people wrought over the world.

The fighting grows more tense and my fellows grow more weary. I do not tell them not to worry. There is no point. They will worry regardless. But Mendel tries to be kind. He puts a hand on Anna's shoulder and looks down at her meaningfully.

"Being scared is natural," he said. "Do not let it rule you, though. Push onward. We must. The rest of the world is depending on us to succeed. We must continue to push onward. It is our only option."

Pretty sentiments, I think, but grossly unnecessary. At first. But the more that I thought about it, the more his words did steel my resolve. It is our only option. For the sake of humanity, we must continue to push on, even if Adam's people were to be closing in around us, we had to keep going. Our research was the only thing that would stand between us and them.

Pushing forward is our only option, that much I know for certain.

Now that we know where what makes Adam what it is happens to be located, we will have to begin isolating the gene and begin trials. Our work is starting to bare fruit, now we must continue pushing forward.

For now, our primary focus is to be able to isolate said gene and begin in-depth study.

Project KRESNIK phase one status: incomplete.