Chapter 3: Partners

My throat tightens at the thought. Not only is it Gabriel but Vampire Gabriel. Undeniable hunger courses through me. I immediately think of the human blood I drank earlier and the hunger is momentarily out of the way.

I lean back and try to tune in on the teacher's ramblings.

"So you have the rest of today and twenty minutes tomorrow to plan. Act accordingly. You can get started now."

Students move to their assigned partners. Before I can move an inch, Melody appears at my desk.

"How are you feeling?" she asks, red eyes filled with concern. "You look really pale."

I grin weakly. "I'm okay. That blood was not my friend."

She laughs. "Agreed."

"Come on, Melody!" a red-headed girl calls, irritated. "We don't have all day!"

Melody rolls her eyes. "I have to ask you something after class, so wait up!" She doesn't wait for me to respond; she spins around and heads over to the girl and takes a seat beside her.

Gabriel appears in the seat next to me and gives me a level gaze of dark brown eyes.

"Are you going to do any of the work?" he asks abruptly.

His cold tone catches me off guard. I just stare at him, surprised. We sit there a moment before I realize that he's waiting for an answer.

"Oh, yeah. Why wouldn't I?" I mumble, looking away. A whiff of his scent assaults my nose, and I tense up. Katherine barely gave me enough blood to last until tonight. "You can have more later, you greedy blood sucker!" she had said.

Her words make me flinch.

"Are you going to puke again?" Gabriel asks, eyes narrowed, almost like he's daring me to.

I swallow and lower my head. "No. So which do you want to work on?"

"I don't care," he says slowly, watching me.

I try and focus on the assignment rather than how great Gabriel's natural scent smells beneath shampoo, soap, cologne, and deodorant.

A difficult swallow brings me back. "We could do the peace agreements for Krusnik and Vampires at the end of the Blood War?" I offer, avoiding his eyes.

He hums slightly in a form of agreement before he says, "And we could do the convergent agreement where humans and vampires--and Krusnik," he adds as a second thought, "intermix communities and laws."

I nod. "Let's do it." I grab a piece of paper and a pen. "I'll write the peace agreements."

"Oh..."

I look over at Gabriel's surprised expression. "What?"

"Nothing," he shakes his head, and pulls out his own supplies.

We sit in silence for the rest of the class, working on our scripts. I try to make mine as historically real as possible, not wanting to get a bad grade for my shitty sense of humor.

After class Melody catches me outside the door. "Do you want to come to my party?" she asks, keeping pace with me as we walk down the hall.

"Party?" I echo. I've never been invited to a party before. The kids at my orphanage were too scared of me. So being asked now is almost too good to be true. "Really?"

Melody laughs, showing off her pearly white fangs. "Yes, really. It's for homecoming."

"When?" I ask, stopping to look at her. I don't want this to be a joke; it would hurt so much if it is.