Chapter 32: Reconciliation

My knowledge must be saved. I have come to realize that without Mendel and my own combined brilliance working in tandem, there is no way that this project will be able to reach full fruition in a manner in which would only be the highest quality necessary. I simply can not allow that to happen. Our planning must be thorough and precise so that if something does come to pass, those in the future endeavors would be able to copy our experiments to a 'T' and get the proper results.

As the one that helped propagate the idea amongst my colleagues and myself, I have decided to reward Anna Fray by making her my personal assistant. As I thought, my instincts are not misplaced. She obeys my every command without question and even asks very thought-provoking questions. I find myself pleased with her brilliant mind, rivaling that of many of the younger men working on the project. Impressive indeed.

This brings us to December the fifth of the year eighteen fifty-one. After months of constant observation, Anna Fray has been keeping extremely detailed notes of our every move and transferring the data to an offsite location that can only be accessed by a certain set of codes that Mendel and myself shared with colleagues working on different projects far away from our own. Most of which not even within the same field.

It is smarter this way.

While I have been working hard to backtrack a bit and ensure that all of our hard work isn't for naught, Mendel has been pushing onward with our research and has made a breakthrough. He has discovered that the gene that makes Adam what it is was able to be isolated and is, in fact, something that can be passed on from one of these creatures to their "offspring".

Knowing that Mendel has gone to work figuring out how to further isolate the gene and manipulate it for our purposes.

My plan is simple: use the genetic mutation that took what could easily be mistaken as humans and turn them into the abominations that they are now and make a creature like them, but for the humans to use as weapons. Biological warfare, I call it. Use monsters against monsters. Have them battle with one another.

If we can manipulate the gene that makes Adam Adam and use that to create something more powerful, more deadly and unable to turn on humans, then we will be able to win this war. I have no doubt about this.

This entry will be short for now, but I am confident that the next few months will be absolutely crucial to our research. Anna Fray will keep close tabs on our project and make sure everything is in proper order. This diary may be put on the back burner for a bit, but science and salvation for mankind wll wait on no one.

Project KRESNIK phase one status: incomplete.

The trek up the mountain is cold and exhausting. Every ten minutes or so, Shawn stops in fear, exceedingly aware of the height we gain even though the view is largely obscured by trees. Melody, with a patience I've never seen before, stands close to him and murmurs words of encouragement, rubbing his back. Watching them, the feeling of anxiety and apprehension in my stomach becomes more palpable, only now it begins to be permeated by twinges of intense envy. At first, their relationship was entirely based on sex, but over time the love Shawn had for Melody became increasingly obvious. I still remember the phone call I received from Melody the day she realized that she loved him back, and though I felt genuine happiness for her, the loneliness seemed to become a crushing force. 

"I think it's love," she said, and her voice had that dreamy note to it. "I haven't felt it since, well, you. It's so...nice."

"Have you told him yet?"

There was a pause. "No. I'm kinda afraid to."

"Mel, you're not scared of anything. That's my favorite thing about you. Besides, the guy is so in love with you it's a wonder he can walk a straight line whenever you're around."