Chapter 7: Positive

"Luca!" someone sings close behind me. I turn around to watch as Melody practically skips up to me, frolicking like a giddy love-struck teen with big bubbly steps.

I can't help but smile at her happiness as she slips an arm through mine and practically bounds our way to class. "Hi, Melody. You seem awfully happy today. What's going on?"

"Well, it was a few things. First off, I finally got through to Gabriel this weekend. At my party. I finally got my feelings off my chest," she sighs contentedly. She must have noticed my confused look, for she adds, "Gabriel and I used to be friends for a long time, but a few years ago we fell apart. Well," she spreads her arms open wide. "We are finally back! I'm so happy!"

Not so used physical contact or the sharing of what is going on in one's life, I smile slightly. "Th-That's really good, Melody. I'm happy for you and Gabriel."

Her charming smile makes me relax. "Thanks, Luca. Sorry to unload on you like that. I'm just so happy is all."

I shrug. "No worries."

We walk into class and take our seats. I'm not as early as I usually am, people are already here. Shawn is one of them. I smile at him and offer a little wave. When he sees me and Melody he moves from his seat and comes to sit next to us.

"Good morning," he greets.

"'Morning," Melody replies.

I just offer a nod. The three of us talk about Melody's party. Shawn apologizes again for hitting me with the football; Melody asks me if I'm okay.

"You ran off pretty fast after Gabriel got you out of the pool," Melody trails off. "Are you sure you're okay?"

Worried red eyes stare at me, running all over my face, and even going as far as to look down to my hands and back. Suspiciously, I answer, "Yeah. I was just embarrassed is all. I'm a bit out of place at the best of times."

Shawn laughs lightly. "That sounds about right."

Melody smiles. "Agreed." Then she turns to Shawn with a comfortable look on her face. "It's been a while since we talked, Shawn. How have you been?"

"Great," Shawn smiles. "So, my brother got into Harvard."

"Wow! That's so great. Leo has been wanting that for like, seven months!" Melody gushes. She reaches forward and slaps his hand playfully. "Tell him I'm so happy for him."

"I will," Shawn says.

Melody's eyes dart toward the door. It's almost like I feel him before I see him, like Melody. It's like somehow the air got thicker, and at that moment, Gabriel steps past the threshold and into the room. A smile splits Melody's face and I can't help but feel light headed as she calls him over.

Gabriel sits in front of me, but turns to be part of the group. We briefly exchange greetings.

"Oh," Shawn gasps with sudden remembrance. "Guess what I heard?"

"Six was spotted in town," Gabriel guesses before Melody and I have the chance. I freeze.

"Uh- Yeah," Shawn says, thrown off by the spot-on guess.

I flinch, physically curling into myself in a unstoppable reaction. Melody's face drops, like this wasn't new news for her.

"How did you know?" Shawn asks, surprised.

"Lucky guess," Gabriel says shortly.

I blink, still slightly shaken. "Nice guess," I mumble.

Gabriel closes his eyes for a moment before he looks at me with a twitch in his brow that tells me he might be upset, or at least worried. "I saw him, the night of Melody's party."