Chapter 2: Gabriel

It doesn't take rocket science to realize that something is up with the new kid. The look on his face when he swallowed the spoonful of blood— you'd think he had just been fed poison. He started trembling, and was all too eager to bolt from the room to rinse out his mouth.

Now, ten minutes later, he still hasn't returned.

Mr. Dreven taps a finger against his lips, a furrow in his brow. "Gabriel, would you mind checking on Mr. Kade?"

All eyes turn to me. The chair I've been leaning back on two legs clunks back to its former position as I push myself to my feet.

Funny, I think as I walk down the hall, how it's always me who gets sent on my teachers' errands. It's like they think I'm a distraction to everyone else in the classroom, namely those of the female orientation. What do they want me to say? "Sorry that people find me so goddamn sexy. I promise to get in a facially disfiguring accident in the near future"?

Hell, maybe that's not a bad idea.

Just as I make to step into the bathroom a strange scent fills my nose, halting me for a moment. It's blood, that much I know...but there's something alien about it's quality.

And I'm not talking about the stench of puke that accompanies it.

Grudgingly I enter the bathroom; I find Luca kneeling before one of the toilets within a stall. Apparently he forgot to close the door.

"Oh, good," I say. "You're not dead."

He stiffens like he's just been electrocuted and turns to face me. His white-blue eyes are lined with red, like he's been crying. Blood drips from two puncture wounds in his hand. Well, that explains the first scent.

I lean back against the edge of the sinks and fold my arms. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," he mumbles. "Fine."

He speaks! "You coming back to class?"

"No." His eyes stare  intently at the floor. "I can't."

"All right," I respond with a shrug. With that I walk out, and I almost make it halfway back to the classroom when I stop and let out a sigh. Goddamn me for caring.

Luca stares when I return to the bathroom and resume my position against the sinks. "Do you need to go to the nurse?" I inquire.

"I would," he replies, again not looking at me, "if I had any idea where it was."

"I'll show you, then."

He shakes his head. "No, it's okay."

I roll my eyes. "Well, how else are you going to find it?"