Chapter 29: Merry Meet

This is Veld Burkenhein.

Since I have begun these video diaries, little has come from it. It is August the fifteenth of the year eighteen fifty.

We are progressing aggravatingly slow, but I suppose that is to be expected. Brilliance takes time, but this is going far slower than I had formerly expected--and desired. There are obvious differences between humans and vampires, but it is difficult to distinguish between what exactly it is that makes them so different.

It's on a genetic level. I know it, and so does Mendel. We know the secrets are there, but lack the understanding and technology to be able to get to that point. It is extremely infuriating to know where something is, but not being able to see it. To understand it. That is the part that makes me angry.

But alas, there is nothing I can really do about that. We simply have to keep pushing forward with understanding Adam. From there, we will be able to move on.

In other news, had a bit of a scare yesterday when Adam woke up on the table. It was dazed and confused, but was quickly subdued once more. Adam must have been dreaming, though. The one who found him, one of the underlings, a brilliant girl named Anna Fray, who fought tooth and nail to be part of this project, was the one who found him.

She found him sitting up in the middle of the night whilst I was sleeping in my office. She said that he was sitting up and looking around the room.

"He was speaking," she had said. "He must have been dreaming vividly."

I was skeptical about that. These things do not dream. They are not people. They are monsters. Abominations. But, regardless, the last thing I wanted was for someone so important to get hurt - where would our funding come from foremost? - but so long as no one was hurt, it was moot point.

"Did he hurt you?" Mendel asked. I could understand his worry, she was the only daughter of a wealthy benefactor that was paying for pretty much all of our research. Smart as she was, there was bit of leverage that got her into the project, but that doesn't really bother me. So long as she is able to pull her own weight, I do not care either way.

"No," Anna said, "he just startled me by being awake. He must have removed his IV in his sleep somehow, but I reattached it and he went right back to sleep."

Odd. For the most part Adam had remained unmoving while sedated. Mendel and I agreed to have someone monitor Adam more closely, less this occurrence be something more than merely an accident. I shudder to think what would have happened had Anna not seen him when she had. The devastation Adam could have caused would be astronomical.

We were lucky this time. From this point forward, we must be more careful.

Project KRESNIK phase one status: incomplete.

***

"Try again, Luca."

I close my eyes and let out a long, deep sigh, trying to clear my lungs. I wait a moment before breathing in, deeply and slowly, trying to get as clear of a picture as possible. I'll assaulted with many different scents and smells, but as like before, it is difficult to discern them all from one another.

"I..." I tilt my head to the side, letting the air out of my lungs, trying to get a better picture of it's location. I turn around to see a circle of trees; my first instinct was it is behind one of the trees, but another good whiff of the air and my eyes lower to one of the small shrubs not ten feet in front of me. "There," I point, "the bush."