Chapter 9: Punishment

A part of me--a really really big part of me-- feels ashamed for running away like that, but I felt cornered...though I know it's no excuse, I still feel bad about it. I've never ran away before. Then again, I've never had a place to run away to before. Now I feel like I'm imposing. I wanted to go see Melody but I got half way there and realized that I don't know her parents and barely her. So I kept walking around for like an hour before the idea came to me. I stopped by Melody's house and asked her where Gabriel lived and now I'm here.

True to his word, though, Gabriel shows me all around his home, through the many assortments of hallways that lead to multitudes of places. His parents' room. His father's study. His mother's study. The theatre room with a huge flat screen and five rows of seats to accompany a large group of people. A meeting room where his parents bring clients ("when they're home," Gabriel adds with a bitter look on his face). A family room that looks more for show than coziness. A game room. An indoor pool. A ballroom. Many bathrooms and guest bedrooms. And finally his room.

The vast amount of rooms and hallways that create the skeleton of this monstrous house make my head spin in confusion.

"And here is my room--Luca?" Gabriel gives me a look. "Are you okay?"

I scratch my head and laugh lightly. "Yeah, sorry. I'm just a bit overwhelmed, is all. This is a lot to take in."

That bitter look crosses his face again. "Tell me about it." Then, he lowers himself on his massive bed and turns keen brown eyes on me. "Not that I don't appreciate the company or anything. And pardon for being so blunt, but why are you here?"

I shuffle nervously from foot to foot. I knew this was coming. "Well, I got into a fight with one of my guardians and I guess I just don't deal well in situations like that...." It isn't a lie. Not really. I'm just scared to stay there. A part of me knows that Ms. Katherine would probably be in a better place when she returns and I'm not there.

She's afraid of the wrath my presence will reign down on the orphanage just because of what I am. But mostly she's worried about herself. She's a vampire. Six has no problems killing her people; I don't blame her for being so upset. Maybe we both just need some time apart.

"Luca?" Gabriel's voice breaks me from my thoughts. "Did you hear me?"

Heat rushes to my face. "No," I admit. "Sorry."

Gabriel blinks slowly before saying, "I asked what you meant by 'guardian'."

That confuses me. "My guardian? Ms. Katherine? She is one of my legal guardians." Gabriel just looks confused, that's when it hits me. "Oh!" I laugh. "Sorry. My guardians, Ms. Katherine and Ms. Gally, are the two that run the orphanage I live at. They are my legal guardians until either I'm adopted or turn eighteen. Then I just become a ward of the state."

"Oh," Gabriel says slowly. "You're an orphan... I didn't..." he clears his throat uncomfortably. "I, uh... sorry. I guess that was a silly thing to ask."

I laugh and sit next to him on the bed. "Why does everyone get so uncomfortable when I tell them that I'm an orphan?"

Gabriel gives me a look. "That's just not something you hear every day, is all."

I shrug and give him a sideways look. "You can ask, you know. If you want."

"Ask..." Gabriel repeats before sighing. "Do you know what happened to your parents?"

"Honestly, no," I tell him. "No one really knew where I came from. I was dropped off one day at an orphanage in Brooklyn when I was about three days old and have been moving around ever since."

"Three days," Gabriel whistles. "That's rough. So you don't know anything about your parents?"

I nod. "Not a single thing. Well, other than that they didn't want me."