6

I hadn't talked to Jordan or Cole in a week. Well, I didn't expect Cole to try to talk to me. But I tried talking to Jordan every chance I got. She wouldn't as much as glance in my direction. As much as I wanted to yell at her and say that she is overreacting, I knew I could never do that. It was an extreme violation of girl code to kiss your best friend's crush. Except I hadn't just kissed him, I'd made out with him. Multiple times.

I couldn't help but feel as if I had lost another best friend as well. Cole was one of the best 'guy friends' I'd ever had, even if I hadn't known him for long.

I thought about him, the way his shaggy blond hair always fell into his mesmerizing eyes, or how he always had tan lines on his wrists from his wetsuit, something that all surfers were accustomed to. I loved the way he always craved smoothies, and the way he rubbed the back of his neck when he was nervous or confused.

I'd known getting involved with him in 'that' way had been a mistake, but I did it anyway. Why, you ask? Because I am an idiot. An idiot who just lost 2 of her closest friends.

<><><>

"Boo!"

I screamed at my attacker and hit them with the binder that was currently in my grasp.

"Ow, what the hell Devin?!" Landon yelled at me while laughing.

"Jesus Christ dude, you scared me!" I yelled back at him with a slight smile.

"Well I didn't know you would hit me with a binder!"

We both chuckled a bit. "So, what brings you here?"

"I was wondering if you wanted to go to Starbucks at lunch today with me and some friends," He said with a shrug.

"Oh, um, I don't know, I promised Olive I'd help her with something," I lied smoothly. Truthfully I was still a little depressed and didn't feel like meeting any new people that could potentially crush my hopes and dreams.

A ball of sunshine, I know.

"Ok...well if you change your mind..." He left with a smile. He never seems to stick around long.

I feel someone grab the back of my elbow and I yelp. Spinning around, I see that it's just Olive.

"What is it with people scaring me today?!" I groan. Olive looks at me like I'm crazy, before waving it off with a shake of her head.

"Ok...so...Landon?"

"What about him?" I play dumb. She gives me a stare.

"Don't give me that, young lady!"

I sigh. "Fine, fine. He was just asking me to go for coffee, but I said I had to help you with something."

Her mouth dropped open. "And why would you do that?"

"Because I didn't feel like it."

She rolls her eyes, something she seems to do a lot. "Honey, you should at least use him as a distraction. Don't wallow in self-pity for relationship that wasn't even a relationship!"

I sign again. "It's not just that...I mean the whole thing with Jordan has gotten me all thrown off and I just...ugh."

"Okay, okay, if I can get Jordan to talk to you would you feel better?" I nodded vigorously.

"Okay, I'll try to get her to talk to you after school, is that good?"

"It's more than good, I can assure you."

<><><>

I was more than nervous. I was practically ripping out my hair at this point.