8

"I think we should be friends."

Cole frowned at me, not quite understanding.

"Friends?" He questioned, as if the concept was foreign.

"Friends," I repeated. "We could go back to the way things were before...everything. I don't want you out of my life Cole, you are important to me."

His eyes lit up at this, but he still didn't look sure. "Is this really what you want?"

No.

"Yes."

He nodded and stuck out his hand.

"Friends."

I shook his hand lightly, and the touch made me feel giddy.

"Friends."

<><><>

Things had been looking up since Cole and I had made our agreement. Things weren't awkward with the guys anymore, and I felt like myself once again. I hadn't made amends with Jordan, and I didn't plan on it. I didn't need her and her stubby legs in my life anymore. I had Olive and that's all I needed.

"So, surfing this weekend with the gang?" Cole asked me after chemistry.

"Sure, sounds fun. I haven't been out in ages."

He smiled, making his eyes crinkle in an adorable way. We talked and continued making plans while walking down the hallway. I looked at our feet, and I couldn't help but notice the way our steps were perfectly rhythmic.

I was so busy looking at the ground that I didn't realized I had bumped into someone until I had already done so.

I stumbled back a bit, and Cole placed a hand on the small of my back to keep me upright.

"Oh my God, I'm so sorry!" I looked at the guy I had ran into. He looked older, probably a senior.

"Don't worry about it," he said with a smirk. He walked away, not before sending me a wink.

I rolled my eyes, annoyed. But not nearly as annoyed as Cole. His hand was still on my back, and even though he looked clam, I knew otherwise by the way his hand was in a fist, clenching my shirt tightly.

<><><>

The sun beating down on me warmed up the water trapped in my black wetsuit. I had my hand over my shut eyes in order to fully keep the strong rays from penetrating my eyelids. I took deep breaths, listening to the gentle waves hitting the underside of my board.

Who needs meditation when you have the ocean?

"Devin!" a male voice shouted in my ear, nearly blasting out my eardrums. I snapped out of my serene state, and almost fell off my board in surprise.

"Cole! You asshole!" I yelled at the boy who was now laughing like a hyena. After a minute of him laughing at me, I picked up a piece of seaweed from the water and threw it at him.

"Okay...okay...fine I'll stop!" He pleaded as I continued to throw kelp at him. There was still a massive grin on his face, and I knew he was struggling to keep the laughter at bay.

"Wassup guys?!" Dylan says as he paddles up on his blue longboard.

"Nothin'" Cole says, but he's still smiling.

"Wait a second..." Dylan murmured, looking between the two of us slowly, one of his eyebrows raised. "Is Colevin back together?!" He asked, as if he was asking us if we wanted to buy Girl Scout cookies.

I choked on my own saliva and Cole's eyes went wider than Jupiter. If I were the blushing type I would be a tomato right now.

<><><>