18

2 Months Later:

If they turn up the music any louder, I think it will break my skull. My ears are practically ringing and I can barely see due to the annoying strobe lights. I push my way through the sea of moving bodies, trying not to fall over and embarrass myself.

Though I don't think anyone would notice, most of them were drunk.

Olive had convinced me to come here because she said it would be 'fun'.

Yeah right.

I make my way into a room where the music is quieter and less people are present. While this room is crowded, it has nothing on the other one.

I breathe a sigh of relief and wait to regain my senses. I take in the mingling groups around the room and greet a few people. Only a few are from my school, others I don't know at all.

A drunk guy comes up to give me a high five, so I gladly oblige with a smile. It takes him a few attempts since his aim is a bit off, but when our hands meet with a satisfying 'smack', he laughs and walks away.

Weird.

I straighten my dress and look for more people to greet. I scan the room and land on a pair of blue eyes that I'd been trying so hard to avoid.

Cole gives me a small smile from across the room, and I return the favor.

I slowly make my way into the kitchen to avoid any further contact. I was doing so well until now.

I spot some more people from my school, and talk to them to get my mind off of things. Olive soon joins the group, chatting away aimlessly.

I feel a tap on my left shoulder, and turn to see who wants my attention.

I have never seen him before, but he has a friendly smile that makes me at ease.

He's pretty cute, with black hair and dark eyes and a nice casual grin.

"Can I borrow you for a moment?"

I nod, although I was slightly confused why some random stranger needed me.

"What's up?" I ask politely.

"Do you see that girl over there? In the grey dress?" He points to a girl with long blonde hair dancing with some guy.

I nod.

"Can you help me make her jealous?"

I nod, smiling in realization.

"Always happy to help."

I grab his wrist and lead him out to the middle of the floor. I cling to him, making sure blondie can see us. He sways us to the music, and leans in to whisper in my ear.

"Thank you. I'm Mark, by the way."

I smile up at him. "You're welcome. I'm Devin."

I look back at blondie, and see her face red with anger.

"It's working," I say with a chuckle.

He only smiles. His smile fades when he looks at something over my shoulder.

"Hey, do you know that guy over there?"

I turn around, but don't see who he's talking about. "What guy?"

"He just left, but he looked angry at me. Is he your boyfriend?"

Crap. Must've been Cole.

"Ex-boyfriend," I say, and he nods in understanding.