14

You could say that things between Cole and I were tense. I hadn't built up the courage to go up and talk to him yet, and it seems that he was waiting for me to make the first move considering that he had made no effort on his part.

This is what really worried me. Cole was usually a super straightforward guy. I couldn't help but feel as if this was the make-it-or-break-it point in our relationship.

And right now it was leaning towards the breaking side.

<><><>

I look around for the familiar strawberry blonde shorty that promised she would wait for me after class. I sighed when I realized that she was nowhere in sight. Giving up after a few seconds, I went to go exchange my books out of my locker.

And then I saw him. And damn, did he look good.

My heart gave a painful tug when his eyes snapped up to meet mine. It was almost if he knew I was looking at him. And that mesmerizing blue...

I shook my head and looked down, breaking our eye contact. I continued to my locker as if nothing was wrong, even though the case was the opposite.

After turning the dial, I swung the thin metal door open. I started to exchange my history books for my English ones, when I saw a note taped to the inside of my locker. At first I thought maybe it was Olive, explaining why she wasn't there after class.

Then I read the note.

It said in small, black, all-caps letters 'Don't say I didn't warn you'.

The message sent chills up my spine. Who would have done this? My mind thought to Cole. No, that didn't make sense.

Then I thought to Olive. I'd given her my locker combo, but why would she give me this? It didn't make sense either. I'd have to ask her about it, but I was almost certain it wasn't her.

It was hard to shrug off throughout the day. I thought about it in class, and even more so after Olive told me she didn't know what I was talking about.

I tried convincing myself that it was a mistake. Someone probably had the wrong locker. Maybe the message was meant for someone else.

But somehow I knew that I was wrong.

<><><>

Laying on your bed and staring at the ceiling is not as good of a pastime as everybody thinks it is. I would know, since I have been doing it for the past hour and a half.

I hear my phone buzzing on the table beside me. With a sigh, I roll over and pick it up. Cayley's name and picture flash on my screen.

Curious, I hit the 'accept' button. I raise the device to my ear and mutter a hello.

I hear sniffling from the other end of the line. I shot up in my bed when I realized it was crying.

"Hello?" I repeat. "Cayley? Is everything all right?"

There was more sniffling before she spoke in a barely coherent voice. "Devin? You...you have to come quick. C-Cole collapsed a-and my parents aren't here a-and I called an ambulance but I don't know what to d-do. P-please hurry."

My heart stopped in my chest, my eyes widening in realization. "I'm on my way."

Even though I was only in pajama pants and a hoodie, I ran to my mom's car bare-footed, grabbing the keys as I rushed out the door. I was in full-on panic mode.

Two minutes of frantic driving later, I was pulling up to the familiar house. There were police cars out front, but I didn't see Cole or Cayley, and there was no ambulance.