10

For some strange reason, I knew exactly where Cole would be. I had explored my options, at his house, at Jake's house, at the stake park, but only one option seemed right.

Call it fate, call it karma, but I just happened to be spot on.

I clambered over the fence, probably looking like an idiot.

Wait, never mind, I always look like an idiot.

After landing with a thud, I tried to recall the path Cole had shown me only a day before. I fought my way through overgrown bushes and trees, until climbing the dirt hill and seeing a familiar blond head of hair.

Cole was sitting there, alone on the grass, staring at the endless blue waves. I tried to be silent, but twigs crunched under my feet. He obviously heard me, but he was zoned out, and didn't bother turning around.

"Jake, I'm really not in the mood for one of your lectures," He speaks out. A smile slips out, and I keep in a chuckle.

Wordlessly, I walk up behind him and sit down next to him, the same position we were in yesterday. He looks over at me, a bit surprised.

"Oh."

I smile a bit, but it drops when I remember why I'm here.

"I know it was Landon," I say, and Cole looks out towards the sea again. He gives a long sigh.

"I figured as much."

"It's my fault," I whisper quietly, thinking the wind will pick it up but he still hears me.

He whips his head over towards me a break-neck pace, making his shaggy hair go all over the place. His eyes bore into mine so hard I can practically feel it.

He grabs my shoulders, not hard like I expect. I look away, mostly because I feel ashamed.

"Devin, look at me."

I look back at him reluctantly, his hands still resting on my shoulders. It's oddly comforting, and I can't say I didn't enjoy the contact.

"You can't blame yourself for this. Okay? It's not your fault," he says. "If it's anyone's fault...it's mine. I knew you didn't want to be with me...but I just couldn't give you up. Not yet. I-I pushed you and that wasn't fair. God, I am such an asshole..."

He's rubbing the back of his neck and I know I have to calm him down. So I do the only logical thing.

I sit on top of him.

I straddle his crossed legs, facing him with my bare calves wrapped around his torso. That shuts him up pretty quick.

He goes to speak again but I cover his mouth with my hand, which he doesn't lick like I expect him to.

"God, shut up for a second will ya?" I say, taking my hand from his now smiling mouth.

"You don't need to apologize, okay? I did want to be with you. I mean, I do want to be with you. I was just scared, and used Jordan as an excuse. But I'm not scared anymore. And you probably won't forgive me, but-"

And then he kisses me. I guess I should go on rants more often if this is how he shuts me up.

<><><>

"Hurry up, loser!" I shout out to Cole who is trailing behind. I push myself, harder and harder, faster and faster until I am in a full-on sprint.

I pant for breath, taking in the salty air. The beach is beautiful at this time of day.

I think that Cole's long gone by this point, until I am grabbed from behind and tackled to the ground. I land in the soft sand with Cole directly on top of me, our faces close.