11

The beat of the music is loud; too loud. It makes my head pound and the floor shake. I hum along to the old Beyonce song as I weave my way through the thick crowd. It's weird how they aren't playing Christmas music at a Christmas dance, but I don't say anything. It's getting hotter in here by the minute, and I'm pretty sure that the high windows are steaming up.

I get elbowed a couple of times, and my foot gets stomped on by some girl with way too much makeup on. I can't help but feel it was deliberate, even though I have never met her before.

I almost trip over someone, but manage to catch myself in time. I straighten out my reindeer antlers before spotting the red Christmas sweater I'd been looking for.

I smile a bit to myself, before making my way over.

I wrap my arms around his waist, startling him a bit before he sees it's me. He turns around, breaking away from his conversation with Ryan to wrap his arms around me.

"Hey, you," Cole says with a smile.

"Hey," I say with an even bigger smile.

Ryan makes gagging noises and walks away. I chuckle a bit, and so does Cole.

He leans in close, our foreheads touching together. His breath smells like peppermint, and I'm sure mine does too, since I have been non-stop eating the ones at the snack table since I arrived.

"Where have you been all night?" He asks me.

"Looking for you. Where have you been?"

"Looking for you."

We both smile a bit before Cole starts walking backwards, dragging me with him out to the dancefloor. I am reminded of the Halloween dance, and I smile even wider at the memory.

They start playing the first Christmas song of the night, and I'm glad it's a slow one.

Have yourself, a merry little Christmas...

He pulls me in close, his hands on my lower back. I wrap my arms around his neck and lean into him, breathing in his ocean-like scent. He places the softest of kisses to my temple, his lips brushing against the skin every so often.

And then I zone out. I don't know how many minutes pass, but it's as if I'm in a dream. Sleeping, but conscious.

But all of that changes when someone crashes into us, knocking me to the ground.

"Oh my god, Devin are you alright?" Cole asks, helping me up and scanning my body for injuries.

I rub my head and brush down my clothes. "I'm fine," I reply, before looking up to see who knocked me to the ground.

Of course it had to be him.

"Watch where you're going," Cole says through gritted teeth.

"Oops," Landon spit out sarcastically. He leaned in close to Cole, anger evident in both of their expressions. "I'd watch my back if I were you."

Cole balls his fists and starts to raise them before I interfere.

I step between them, and lower Cole's fists to his sides. His anger visibly subsides and I'm glad I got there in time. I turn around to face a pissed Landon.

"Get lost, Landon. Unless you want me to knee you in the balls again."

A smirk grew on his face as he raises his hands in defense.

"I'm gone," he said, starting to back away. "But when you get tired of wussy boy over here, you know where to find me."

And then he was gone, disappearing into the crowd.