13

Throughout the course of January the situation with Jake was steadily getting worse. He seemed really depressed all the time, and I felt guilty about kissing Cole in front of him.

I'm pretty sure Cole figured it out too, since things were kind of tense and awkward between them. And apparently some girl tried to ask Jake out, and he totally turned her down. My theory was getting stronger by the day and I knew I would have to talk about it with Cole soon.

I knew when I had to do it too, I just didn't want to ruin the whole weekend. The weekend of the Los Angeles Surf and Skate, I mean. The date was approaching and my excitement was building quickly. The long car ride would give me the perfect time to talk with Cole, and Cayley would be there to back me up if things took a turn for the worse.

I had gotten way closer to both Cole and Caylee. I was at their house all the time, I even met their parents. Cole didn't introduce me as his girlfriend though, even though he'd wanted to. I just didn't want my parents to find out. Not because I didn't want them to know, but I feel like they would be breathing down my back the whole time if I did. I never really talked to them about relationships, simply because I'd never been in one before. I only just turned 16, after all.

Even though I now knew Cole's parents, I'm glad that they weren't coming with us to the competition. Don't get me wrong, they are super sweet and all, I just wanted to be able to kiss Cole and hold his hand and stuff without risking exposure.

Wow, my life is a mess.

<><><>

I tap my fingers against the window to the beat of the song. The road is dry and cracked in front of us. I adjust my sunglasses on my face and look at Cole. His hands are resting on the steering wheel, his focus on the road ahead. I gently hum along to the tune of the song, just loud enough so that I could hear.

I glance at Cayley in the backseat, and she motions with her eyes toward Cole. I had previously informed her of my plan, and obviously she wanted me to carry it out now.

"Hey Cole?"

"Yeah?"

"Have you noticed anything weird about Jake recently?"

His face remains impassive.

"Yeah, I have."

"Do you know why?"

He nodded.

"So you think he's gay too?"

Another nod.

"It doesn't change anything though," he says. "He's still my best friend. He's still the same person he always was."

This warms my heart more than anything. "I know. But how do we tell him we are here for him? I hate seeing him so depressed all the time..."

"Me too."

There is a silence for a bit.

"Hey Cole?"

"Yeah?"

"You're a pretty decent guy."

He smiles gently.

"I try my best."

<><><>

I shut the car door behind me, stretching my legs after the long ride. It feels really good to be standing again. Apparently Cayley feels the same way, as she is practically doing yoga in the parking lot.

Cole comes around to our side of the car.

"You guys ready?"

I smile and nod. "I was born ready."