Chapter 17: Shaking resolve

THIRD PERSON P.O.V

The group that consisted of four had been traveling for days, stopping to take rests during the day, sleeping at night as Hak and Kira took shifts on guard duty.

"Ah, climbing is rough, but I'm glad we don't have to worry about being watched." Yoon smiled as he led the group to the White dragon's village.

"Don't lower your guard. There's no guarantee that Fire Tribe soldiers aren't patrolling the area." Hak warned, standing beside Kira who was following both Yona and Yoon.

"I need to learn swordsmanship." Yona determinedly said as she clutched the hood of her cape. Freezing, Hak's blue eyes widened slightly at the red head's statement while Kira smiled brightly, clapping her hands in delight as her eyes twinkled in excitement. The black haired female was clearly excited to teach her beloved best friend her field of mastery, but she didn't expect that Yona won't think the same. "Yona-chan, I'll teach-" The beginning of her statement was left unheard as Yona stopped walking and turned around, facing both her and Hak, making everyone stop in their tracks.

"Hak, you said you would teach me." Yona declared making the color to drain from Kira's face. 'Eh?! Why Hak?!'

"No, I didn't." Hak denied the red haired female's statement calmly. "Umm...Yona-chan, I can-" Kira was interrupted once more as Yona continued conversing with Hak, completely ignoring the poor girl's offer to help. "You can teach me while we travel. I need to be able to repel attackers."

"Princess, could you kill someone?" Hak's obvious question caused Yona to flinch with her purple colored orbs wide open. "You may try to repel enemies, but they won't just run away. You must kill or permanently incapacitate them. Can you do that?" Hak continued, what he said had put Yona in internal conflict. The latter looked down to the ground before closing her eyelids and sighing. "When we were cornered in the mountains, I couldn't do anything... Even if I can't kill or stand toe-to-toe with someone, I want to be able to, at least, create opportunities for escape." Said Yona, her tiny hands forming fists.

"Self-defense swordsmanship...." Hak contemplated.

"Like I tried to say, I can teach you-" "Will you teach me, Hak?" Yona hadn't listened to what was coming out of Kira's mouth for the third time. Yoon watched, slightly pitying Kira with how she was being ignored by her sibling and childhood friend. "Very well." Hak said as he handed Yona a bow he had been carrying.

Hearing a quivering voice, Hak and Yona shift their attention to their side, where they found Kira sitting down on the ground, hugging her knees to her chest and crying her eyes out. Yoon stood next to her, attempting to calm her down by patting her back. "I...was so excited to teach Yona-chan swordsmanship..." She exclaimed between sniffs and sobs as she drew circles with her index finger on the dirt. "But she didn't even think of having me her as her tutor... Even though I'm better at it than Hak!" Her tears kept flowing down from her closed eyelids.

Hak and Yona had beads of sweat forming on their cheeks, with the latter feeling guilty for not thinking of asking Kira. "T-that's right. I'm sorry, Kira. I completely forgot about you." Yona sheepishly smiled, trying to apologize but her words made the situation even worse. "She forgot about me!" Kira got even more depressed than she already is.

"Well, well, would you calm down? It can't be helped that the princess prefers that I teach her." a smug smile found it's way yo Hak's lips, he was finding it incredibly amusing to tease his younger sister. Before he knew it, a small, but hard rock was thrown at his forehead by Kira. "Ow!"

After Kira had regained her composure, they continued on with their journey. In the end, Hak refused to teach Yona how to use a sword and had given her a bow instead, despite her constant protests. And Kira was too traumatized to offer her services to Yona again.