17: Wished for a Mate: It Takes More

You think maybe that I'm just so easy

You can come in and out my life like you please

But baby no (uh-oh)

Don't you know it takes more

---It takes more by Jordin Sparks

Being stupid. That's what I was. I was being stupid. I couldn't afford to be stupid, especially not at a time like this. It felt so right though, to be in his arms, to talk with him, laugh with him... But, I couldn't. He had a mate now. I felt a pang go through my chest at the thought. He wasn't worth it, I repeated to myself. He was NOT worth it. I wasn't going to get hurt again. Besides, I had more pressing things to concern myself with. Like, if my friends were okay.

Oh no! I had been so wrapped up in Damon that I completely forgot about them! I had to go see them. I began to run down the hall. The path to the infirmary was one I knew well. I spent many of my days there. The nurse, Mrs. Yumi, or what I called her Mi-mi, was one of those remarkable people who had believed in me. She had been a dear friend that I had been sad to leave behind. While I was still here, MI-mi had wanted to help me, but being a low member of the pack, any sign of disobedience and she could be banded a rouge or worse, killed.

In the middle of my thoughts, I hadn't noticed where I was going.

"Oh!' I said, bumping into someone. On a closer look I found that it was Lucy, the new member of out pack.We both fell over, hitting the ground with an oompf. "Sorry," I apologized sheepishly.

"That's alright." She said. Her voice was soft and musical. It was as she said this that I really looked at her. I hadn't noticed before, but Lucy was very beautiful. She had hair dark as night and skin pale ebony. Her eyes shown like like the moon when it was full. "It was partly my fault as well." I snapped back to reality.

"Actually," I said, "I wasn't paying attention to where I was going, so I take most of the blame." I held out a hand to help her up. Once beside me, she seemed to take a moment to survey me. I suddenly felt a little self-concious. My hair was tangled and my face was flushed from my encounter with Damon. Then she spoke.

"Would you walk with me?" I didn't quite know what to do. I wanted to go see my friends, but Lucy was new and she wanted my company. Maybe my friends could wait just a little bit.

"I'd love to." I said, smiling. She smiled back, gesturing for me to start walking. For a few minutes we walked in a comfortable silence, just enjoying eachothers company.

"So," She started, "I'm sorry about your father." I abrubtly stopped walking. Lucy kept going but stopped when she realized that I wasn't with her. I was surprised. Most avoided the subject or lightly poked at it, but the way she had had said it. It was so forward. "Are you alright? I apologize if I brought the subject up too early. I just don't want to act like I don't know, you know? That seems to cause more problems in the long run."

"No," I said, "It's okay. I--I just, it was just a surprise. I wasn't expecting such a direct approach, is all." I smiled shakily.

"So, why haven't you taken back your pack yet?" I looked at her, shocked. No one had ever asked me such a thing. I opened my mouth, but nothing came out. I stared at her, jaw-dropped.

"I don't think I can." I finally managed to spit out.

"Well you'll never find out if you don't try, right? She asked.

"I don't really think that Damon will let me take back the back."

"Well that's the funny thing isn't it. You didn't step up to the plate right away, so fate provided you with a mate that would help you rule your pack."

"Yeah, because he's so willing to let me waltz in and take the reigns."

"Sometimes, it's not whether he's going to let you take over, but whether you're going to let yourself take over." She said, gently. She left with one sad look, leaving me to ponder her words.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys! I'm so sorry I disappeared, but I was just stuck. Hopefully updates will become more frequent.

Teaser: What do you think of Lucy? Melanie? Is everyone okay?

See you next time on I Wished for a Mate.

Komal