1: Wished for a Mate: Falling over me

Falling over me

I'm hoping, I'm waiting
I'm praying you are the one
I'm hoping, I'm waiting
I'm praying you are the one
You are the one

By Demi Lavoto

Chapter one

I kicked the punching bag as hard as I could, letting my anger flow into my fists and feet. I didn't have a proper training after my dad's death because people thought it was my fault he died, so after midnight was the only time I could train myself. If I were caught, though, I would be punished, so I had to keep the yelling to a minimum. I was teased everyday anyway, but I made it because of two things. My mother, who despite the fact that she couldn't stop the teasing encouraged me everyday and my mate, my mate, who was going to care for me and love me when I found him, hopefully. (Yes, I am a werewolf and even though there are people out there who believe we are dangerous, we aren't. We're people too, no matter what humans say.) With a bit of luck I would find my mate tomorrow. It was rare though for a person to find their mate exactly on their fourteenth birthday, but that wouldn't stop me from trying. Hell, I wouldn't just try, but I would leave this place if my mate weren't here.

Suddenly I heard footsteps descending the staircase. "Hello? Anyone there?" Damon Pride, son of the Alpha. He had power and he wasn't afraid to use it. I'd always hoped he was my mate, but it was unlikely because I was one of the weakest members of the pack. If he caught me in here I would never be allowed to leave. Slowly I crept toward the closet, trying to make as little noise as possible. Werewolves have acute hearing, so if I made one little slip, I was dead. I slipped into the closet and closed it, while trying to make sure it didn't creak. The door to the training room opened and Damon entered. He walked around the room and when nothing caught his eye, he turned to leave. At least I thought he did. A few steps away from the door, he turned and walked toward the closet. Just as he was about to open the door a voice called his name.

"Damon? What are you doing?" I had never been so glad to hear the voice of Carson Banks, son of the Beta and Damon's best friend. He teased me endlessly and normally I would not have wanted him anywhere near me, but this was a different case. "What are you doing, man?"

"Thought I heard something, so I came down to check."

"It was probably nothing come on, man."

"Yeah, whatever." They both left and went up. I didn't dare come out until I heard the doors slam on their bedrooms. Cautiously I tiptoed up to my room. Once I was inside, I breathed a sigh of relief. I flopped back onto the bed and as soon as my face hit the pillow I was asleep.

"Ella, wake up." Somebody gently shook me awake. "Come on baby, I know it's your birthday, but you still have to go to school." It took my sleepy brain a minute to figure out what my mom was trying to tell me, but when I understood my eyes shot open and I bolted up from my bed. My birthday! My fourteenth birthday! You see on a werewolf's fourteenth birthday the gene to find our mate was passed on to us. My mom laughed at my eagerness her beautiful red curls bouncing up and down. How many times had I wished for those beautiful curls? Instead I had straight black hair down to my shoulders and green eyes. I was the mirror image of my dad, or so I was told. Mom tossed me some clothes. "Go get dressed." I quickly changed and got ready for school.

School. The place where most of my teasing occurred. I only had one friend really and even he wasn't my friend. He was just another kid who was teased, named Johnny. We might've been friends except for the fact that he was constantly hitting on me, no matter how many times I told him I wasn't interested. Of course the fact that he asked me out soon became the new topic of teasing. Not that I'm bitter or anything. Today, though, all of that is going to change 'cause today I'm going to find my mate. All I had to do was wait for the electric shock. See, you knew someone was your mate if when you were near them you felt a shock. Then you'd have to figure out who they were by the pull you felt towards them. I just hoped it wasn't Johnny. That would be a nightmare.

"Baby! You finally turned fourteen! Now you know I'm you're mate." Speak of the devil and here he comes. I turned around to face Johnny, praying to the Fates. Please don't be my mate, please don't be my mate. And it seemed to work for a second, but then I felt the shock. I almost buried my face in my hands and cried, but then I realized I wasn't feeling a pull towards Johnny. I turned around to face the lockers...and Damon. No way, it can't be right. But it is. My wolf! Your wolf was only awakened once you found your mate. So maybe he was...He is!!

"See baby, you're my mate. Damn I almost forgot he was there!

"No, I'm not. So get over it."

"Don't be silly, of course you are." He tried to grab me but I pushed him away.

"Go away Johnny." I walked away and towards Damon, Johnny instantly forgotten. I approached him cautiously. You never wanted to anger an alpha. "Um, Damon?" He looked up and his face filled with annoyance.

"What do you want?"

"Um...Well, I mean...What I'm trying to say is you're my mate!" I blurted out. He looked at me and laughed.

"I'm fifteen. Don't you think I already knew that?" He knew? Then why...?

"But, then why...?"

"I'm rejecting you mate." He laughed again. "Don't try to talk me again." And he left. My first thought was: Why do the Fates have such a cruel sense of humor? And my second: To run. To run and never come back and my wolf who was hurt from the rejection whimpered an agreement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you like it. I'll post the second chapter soon. Pic. of Ella on the side.

See you next time on I Wished for a Mate.

Komal