The Terrors of the Night

Adriana's P.O.V.

"Stop," I begged and pleaded for his merciless and cold-blooded figure to release me from my misery. The pain that shot throughout every inch of my scars ridden body felt utterly unbearable. Blood oozed out from my heavily bruised, delicate skin. It escaped from my veins in areas I never knew the human body was capable of bleeding from. But every single time I pleaded for him to gain his sanity and end the fearsome torture, his anger increased immensely and his hits only became harder by the second. All the energy I once occupied was drained out, resulting in me falling to my knees. My hands rode up, concealing my stinging face as the salt ridden tears began to stream like a flowing river. The excessively thick red colored liquid and my transparent salty tears were mixed together, settling on my fabric covered thighs. He did nothing but continue using his knee to erupt pain in my back and I did nothing but sob from the burning sensation playing within me. I mysteriously gained a single ounce of courage and enforced my limbs to cooperate and stand up, in order to attempt to make a run for it. As expected, I managed to fail. Since I did, I was yanked by my brown locks, resulting in me landing on my back with a loud thud. A groan escaped my bruised lips and one more plead managed to leave too.

Paying no attention whatsoever to my cries, I spotted him strolling to the kitchen. It was indeed an opportunity for my being to escape the horrendous scenario I've been placed in, but I knew better than to get myself killed. I, however, took that as an opportunity to carefully wipe my blood concealed face with the hem of my shredded sweater. My ears perked up as they heard his heavy footsteps marching back to my location. Once he placed himself in front of my hopeless being, my eyes spotted a deadly weapon secured in his firm grip. Utter horror consumed my being and my sobs only increased, getting louder and louder. I initiated yelling at the top of my
lungs, desperately, for my life.

"Help, help," I resumed screaming, not attempting to ever stop. His large, hands harshly grabbed a handful of my hair then yanked my head backwards, placing the knife on the skin of my neck. My breathing immediately quickened and heart race's acceleration increased. My heart was beating as quick as lightning and I feared it would pop out of my chest at any moment. My blurry vision focused on the sleek blade of the knife, as I gulped in dread.

"D-don't do this, p-pl-please. That's not who you are, that's not the dad I know. Please don't kill me." I ever so slowly whispered the last part as I watched my tears fall into the blade. He turned into my biggest nightmare. Never have I ever expected my nightmare to turn out to be from my own flesh and blood.

"Well, I guess you don't know me at all." those were the last words that escaped his lips before I began yelling and fighting for my life. The knife-

I jerked up from my squeaky mattress and by instinct, I began examining my surroundings. My heart race was accelerating by the second which was verified as unhealthy. Every single inch of my shaking physique was soaked in dripping sweat. My wet, chocolatey locks stuck to my oily forehead like it depended on it. My body was consumed with an excessive amount of fear that I was afraid of moving an inch of my dread filled figure. 'It was just a dream.' I initiated chanting those words inside that thick skull of mine over and over, and a sigh of relief escaped my lips at the realization.

Ever since I was a young child, I've had horrible nightmares about him haunting me once darkness consumed my being, but never have I ever dreamt about him ending my existence. I began recalling how his face emerged in my unconscious state, appearing so determined and evil, as if he wanted to murder me more than anything in this world. It was just a dream.

In my quivering state, I removed the covers that concealed my damp body and took slow and easy steps towards the bathroom. My trembling fingers found there way to the faucet, opening it and splashing my heavily sweaty face with pure water countless times.