20~I Love You

"Charlie, will you marry me?" The words sink in for a long moment. Butterflies fill my stomach as I process the words fully.

"W-what?" I ask my eyebrows raising as Justin nods quickly his chest rising and falling quickly as he reaches into his pocket and pulls out a small black box. He pulls it apart to reveal a glimmering diamond ring which makes my heart pound heavily in my chest.

"Marry me." Justin repeats a small smile on his lips as I part my lips. He's serious about this.

I was not expecting this. I'm can't...I'm not even dressed to get engaged. Oh god, what the fuck is going on?!?!

Why is he doing this?

A million thoughts cloud my mind and all the breath seems to be knocked out of me.

"We can't do that." I blurt out, my eyes wide whilst Justin deflates a little, his eyes furrowing together.

"Why not?" He asks as I laugh quietly shaking my head, cupping Justin's cheek with my hand. His lips were slightly pouted as he thought over my words. It wasn't exactly a no.

"You're only doing this because of my dad." I explain shaking my head. "Before today marriage wasn't even a thought for us." I continue watching his Adam's apple bon up and down as he swallows heavily giving me sad eyes which made my heart break slightly.

"That's not true, it's only a small part of it. I've been thinking of this since I knew you were pregnant." Justin snaps as I keep quiet. "I want us to be a family Charlotte." Justin says the word making my stomach flip slightly.

We're already a family? Aren't we?

I take a deep breath suddenly feeling very emotional as tears seem to cloud my mind. "We don't need a piece of paper to be a family though" I murmur clamping my teeth down on my lower lip. "All we need for that is each other and our baby." I whisper quietly as Justin clenches his jaw. "If we get married it should be because we want to and love each other, not because you want to please my dad or you need is to have a 'real' definition of something." I explain trying to catch Justin but his eyes were trained on the floor away from me.

Please don't hate me.

"Justin" I almost whimper, the tension is killing me. "Jay," I try but his eyes are still on the floor, his jaw taut making my stomach drop dramatically.

Clearing his throat Justin rises up from his position down on one knee and rubs his face. "So that's a no?" He asks, his voice is closed off it sends a small shiver down my back.

I can't lie to him and say something like 'it's a maybe' because it's not.

It's a big fat no.

The worst word that could possibly be said or gestured at in this situation and here I am saying it. "It's a no." I whisper my teeth latching on my lower lip. "That doesn't mean I don't love you though." I continue my eyes feeling sore with built up tears that were probably going to fall any second now.

"I don't understand you sometimes." Justin mumbles as a single tear rolls down my cheek. My mouth is dry and the room is now almost dark. There's an orange glow from the sun setting but that's the only light in the room.

I look over to the end of the room, by the foot of the bed remembering how I'd danced there, drunkenly spinning around in circles and singing to myself as Justin and I ate fatty foods and watched crappy TV on the night of Carter and Lola's wedding.

That was perfect, I was confused but I realised then that I loved Justin. It just took me a while to admit it to myself. In the moment where I was spinning like I was a 5 year old who'd had 3 ballet lessons I realised I never stopped loving him; not when we had almost a year apart, not when I was crying because of him and not when he said goodbye to me last year. I always loved him and everything else was just a distraction.