21 - Semi-Finals

Monday night arrived seemingly fast. I can't really tell if Harry's nervous or not, but, knowing him, he probably is.

"Hey," I call out to him. He turns to me from his leaning position against the wall. This is our last chance to practice, and Harry wanted to keep going until we've run out of time. "don't be nervous?"

"Who said I was?"

"You're always nervous."

"I never said that I was."

"Doesn't matter, because I know you are. Even with the way that you requested more practicing; it's obvious."

"Maybe i requested practicing because I wanted to be close to you without getting interrupted?"

"Knowing my friends, they'd barge in here either way and annoy me." He smiles. "C'mon, you don't have to be embarrassed that you're nervous."

He looks down. "I guess I just don't like that we're to this point in the season and I still end up getting nervous week after week."

"The dances progressively harder every week, so it's understandable." We both pause and just revel in the silence. "Can I tell you a secret?" He looks up at me with a sullen look on his face. "I still get nervous, all the time, that I will fail my Star and we'll get eliminated, especially when they show desire to win. I feel like I make the dances too easy or too hard, or there's a slip up that I didn't notice in practicing that the judges notice right away."

Before he can reply, there's a knock on the door,followed by a voice. "Nic, you guys are on after this break." I can't recognize the voice so I'm sure it's not Derek or Louis.

"Alright, we're coming." My voice is soft after my confession. I've never actually told anyone about my fear, or really any fears I have, so it's a bit strange telling anyone.

I start heading towards the door so I can escape further confrontation. "Dove," Harry calls me back. I stop moving and turn my head back slowly, but I don't get any closer to him. I like distance whenever I confess anything.

That doesn't stop him, though, when he walks up behind me and wraps his arms around my waist, leaning his head on my shoulder. His body curls around mine so I can't escape.

"Is that another one of your fears? Telling people anything about you?" I stay silent. "Are you afraid you will lose people because you're being yourself? Being human?"

Yes. I'm terrified.

Instead of replying, I stay silent. No one has ever hit the nail on the head that easily when it comes to figuring me out.

"Nic!" Louis' voice then calls through the door before he barges in.

"We're coming!" I yell, worming out from Harry's arms and following after Louis.

We all head backstage, with Harry following closely behind me. Louis doesn't notice the tension between Harry and I as he slings an arm around my shoulder and stopping me right next to the entrance point to the stage.

"So, how is your little relationship going?" Louis asks. I shrug. I'm not sure what Harry did, but he didn't say anything, as I didn't hear him speak from behind me. Louis then lets go of me. "You're being boring. Bye." He walks off.

I continue to watch everyone set up the stage closely, watching where they place everything.

"Are you mad at me?" Harry asks. I shake my head. "Why does it seem like you are?"

"I'm not mad, Harry. It just hit me somewhere personal. I'm okay."

Before he's allowed to say anything else, the lights go up and Tom introduces us as the next couple to dance.