27 - Figuring Out

Harry drops hints over the next week that he would like me to come back home with him. He mentioned it once on the first day he arrived, and over time, he had referenced it more and more. He never directly came around and asked me if I'd like to go with him, and I managed to keep the mood light by acting oblivious.

"My mum will probably want to meet you. I mean, I don't tell her about many of my relationships because I never really think they'd be serious enough to explain."

"Have you mentioned me?" I asked while dusting off some fluff that's landed on my jeans over time. We're going out tonight; Harry refused to tell me what we were doing, but he told me that I'd like it. Based off the faces he's made at the clothes I've gone through, I have a good idea that we aren't going to be doing anything fancy or spectacular. I'm happy that's something that I got through to him that I don't really care for overly romantic plans.

"Of course I have. Any time I talked on the phone to her, or when I went back home to see everyone after the season ended, I'd talk about you." Harry goes quiet for a second. "Actually, I think I annoyed them. Gem told me that I'm whipped."

"I kinda agree with her. Luckily for you, though, I'm not afraid to admit that I'm slightly whipped as well."

Harry is chuckling, "Yeah, but at least you're not that obvious about it. When I first got here, your parents barely knew who I was."

"It's proved to be quite hard to talk to them about personal ideas. With, well, y'know." I turn around and hold up a black 'System Of A Down' shirt to my chest. I didn't do it to get his opinion - I actually did it to see if it still fit me - but he nodded anyway. "Still, I'd say we're pretty much on the same page when it comes to how invested we are in this relationship."

"I'm taking that as a compliment, then. You better not come back later tonight and tell me that you were being sarcastic, because you have no idea how good it feels to hear that from someone you care so much about."

I let that to be the last thing that's said, because I'm not really sure how I'd be able to reply to that. He sounds so sincere and it makes my heart ache a little bit.

He goes along with my silence, probably playing around with his phone while I get changed. He's too respectable to look, even though I don't care if he does anymore.

After a few minutes of looking in a mirror and playing around with my hair - it's laying flat and I plan to keep it that way, so it doesn't matter if I mess with it - I finally turn around to face him. He's gotten off his phone and I catch him staring at me. He doesn't seem embarrassed even when I call him out on it. Instead, he motions me over to his side. I sit down next to him, moving his phone so I can fit closer to him.

"I'm serious about my mum, though. She seemed so interested when I spoke of you, and she even asked me when you two could meet."

"Does she even know what I look like? Now that I've realised I'm... confused, some things you said may not apply anymore."

"I showed her pictures and videos from the show. She said you were very beautiful." He smiles at me and grabs my hand. He holds onto it in my lap. "And, Ni, just because I thought you were a girl, I didn't tell her things that are revolved around that. I told her that you're a sweet person with a unique personality. I talked about you; who you are as a person, your likes and dislikes, what you're passionate about and what you couldn't care less about. Your gender had nothing to do with it."

I look down at our hands. My hand has unconsciously wrapped around his thumb that rests in the palm of my hand, and his index finger is running across my knuckles.

"How do you think she'll react when she finds out?"

"React to what?"

"Me being the way I am."