5 - Sleeping On The Job

"Nic. Nic. Nic. Nicolette. Nic. Nicolette Janelle. Nic." Derek pokes my arm repeatedly. "Nicolette!"

"Can't you see I'm busy?" I yell, startling both him and I. I didn't mean to yell; he's just irritating me.

"Well, yeah. But I wanted to ask you something,"

"You can ask me later; I'm busy." A yawn escapes my lips as I try to sew the stupid shirt.

"No, Harry's gonna be here in a few minutes and all your time will be dedicated to him. What happened to you and me time, huh? I miss that." He glances down at the shirt before looking back up at me. "Why are you knitting a sweater anyways?"

"I am not knitting! I am sewing! Get it right!" In all actuality, I'm extremely grumpy today. My neighbour kept me up all night with his newly born screaming child. Also, I could hear the people having sex in the apartment above me. It was awful.

I really need to move out of that place, and soon. Too bad I'm saving up for a breast transplant.

"Fine, what is it?" I ask, giving up on my task at hand. There's no way I'll be able to fix this damn shirt with Derek pestering me with Harry on the way.

"Why are you knitting a sweater?" He asks innocently.

"I am not knitting a damn sweater!" I yell, holding up the needle. I act as if I'm about to throw it at him, but I'm cut off.

"Hey, Ni." I freeze this time, automatically registering the nick-name. Harry comes up from behind and hugs me, his arms wrapped tightly around my waist.

"Hi. Why did you call me... uhm - did you call me Ni?" I stutter.

"Yeah, what's wrong with it? You don't like it?" He moves to crouch in front of me.

"No-no, it's not that. My friends back home used to call me that. I guess it just triggered some, uh - memories."

His face has contorted into one of confusion and sadness, "Sorry, do you not want me to call you that anymore?"

"No! It's fine, really. It's just a bit weird hearing people call me that besides them."

He smiles this time, "Well, I'm you're friend, so I think I earned the right to call you that."

"You have." I look up at Derek - he's looking down at Harry with a smirk. I roll my eyes; Derek wants me to date everyone.

"So," Harry's smile grows when I pull him up by the wrist. "wanna get started on this week's practice?"

_-_-_

This week's dance is much easier then last week's. I still don't understand why they had given us one of the hardest dances the first week, but I can't really complain because now Harry is getting much better. This week we have the foxtrot.

It's been a couple hours since we've started practicing, which means a couple more hours I've gone without sleep. I've been awake for over 30 hours, how am I still standing upright?

"Ni? Are you okay?" Harry asks when I finish showing him a different piece of the dance. "I didn't hurt you, did I? Damn it, I knew this was gonna happen! Now you're gonna--"

"Harry, you didn't hurt me." I try to yell, but it comes out in a low-pitched mumble.

"Then what's wrong?" I close my eyes and place my cheek against the wall.

"Just a bit tired, s'all. I just need some water and I'll be fine." I say, trying to reach to the ground where my water bottle is. I fail to reach it without bending. I know if I bend over I'll fall down, and I'd rather not do that. Not before Harry does, anyways.