Part 6 - Ben

I lay awake that night in a hotel room in Indianapolis. I needed to get away from Pawnee, even if it's just for the night. Tomorrow, I have to go out there like an adult and face Leslie. I know what I did is for the best, but I just feel so empty.
The next morning, I put on the suit I took with me to the hotel and get ready for work. After the extra long commute back to City Hall, I take a deep breath in front of the entrance. I step in and am immediately bombarded by Chris, looking like he's about to go on a run.
"Ben! Oh my gosh! You're back! Why were you out yesterday?"
"I sent you a voicemail. Did you not get it?" I look down at my phone and at the notifications: "1 Voicemail Delivery Failed".
"Oh god, Chris. I'm sorry!" I say, showing him the notification.
"It's fine! I think Leslie wanted to meet with you about something. She was in her office. I would check in with her."
"Will do!" As soon as Chris runs away, I sigh. Here goes nothing. I slowly walk towards her office.
"Hey! Ben! Good to see you back! Where were you yesterday?" Jerry asks as I enter Parks and Recreation.
"Oh...I... I sent a voicemail to Chris. I guess it didn't go through. I just decided to take the day off. Run some personal errands, you know? Is Leslie in her office?"
"Yes, she is!"
I glance over to see Leslie typing up something. I walk over to her office and walk in. To my surprise, her face lights up while when she sees me.
"Ah! Ben you're just the person I was looking for! So the Gregory Park on the North Side of town is supposed to be the venue for a large auction supporting Sweetums Cares. We have the permit to rent the park approved by Chris and I'm just finalizing the permits to have a large truck on the grass to hold all the items. Chris didn't know what more there was to do, so he pointed me to you. Is there anything else I need to run by either of you two before the event on Sunday?"
"What? Oh... Um... I don't think so. Sounds like you're pretty good. In terms of this project. I..uh.. Well... I have some things I need to check up on. Anything else?" I stare her in the eyes "Anything else you want to talk about? With me?"
"Nope! That's all I needed! Thanks Ben!"
I guess we're back to what we were always supposed to be- Boss/Employee with a touch of friend.
I've never felt worse.