Part 8 - Ben

Leslie walks out and I feel horrible. I haven't slept at night because it's too quiet. I don't have Leslie beside me, talking in her sleep or shuffling around, all those things that were slightly annoying back then. Now, they are adorable memories, but only memories.
Chris walks in a couple of minutes after Leslie to find me staring at a wall.
"Ben? What's wrong?"
"Nothing, Chris. I'm just tired."
"Are you not getting enough sleep? Because I have some herbal remedies that help induce sleep. I should've given them to you a while ago, considering the bags under your eyes. How much sleep are you getting per night?"
"An hour or two. Sometimes three or four on a good night."
"Ben! That's terrible! The human body needs at least 7 hours of sleep to function properly. Is something on your mind?"
"Yeah. But, it's nothing."
"It's not nothing. If there's something keeping you awake at night, that is big. You can tell me, Ben!"
"Um... do you remember a couple of months ago when I told you that I might want to start dating someone in the city government?"
"Yes. Yes I did. Is that still on your mind?"
"Yeah. I really want to be with her, still. Is there any way that we can change the rule?"
"I'm sorry Ben. I know that you're not a corrupt person and that you'd never take advantage of the rule, but a lot of people would use that rule to get to a higher status they didn't earn. I wish I could make an exception, but then I would be seen as corrupt for giving an advantage to my best friend."
I sigh.
"I understand, Chris. I'll be fine."
He hands me a jar of pills and goes to his desk.
"Hey, Chris." I say, trailing after him. "How is councilman Dexhart still in office? He has a new scandal every other week! He's had several affairs with city employees. Right?"
"It's a loophole. If the relationship is ongoing, then the two participants can get in trouble. But since his are all generally one night stands, he is technically in violation of no rules. I've tried to run the change by city council, but they're all Dexhart's lackeys. They know he would bet ousted if the rule changed."
"Wait, if one night stands are legal, then what's the point of the rule?"
"What do you mean?"
"People who sleep their way to the top of the chain don't get in a nice, dating relationship with every guy they sleep with. They sleep with them, they move on. So if your point is to avoid corruption, how is this rule going to help?"
"Ben, trust me. It was a terrible mistake I made while typing the rule. I've tried to get the change through City Council on a weekly basis. But it's too late now."
"Got it." For once, I'm actually thankful for our terrible City Council. I hope Chris doesn't try to propose that bill again while Leslie is in office, thinking that she can change it. She wouldn't put herself in jeopardy.
"Thanks for the herbal pills."
"Twice before you go to bed. They are literally the best sleep inducers in the world.."
"Thanks."