Part 22 - Ben

"Ben?" I jump a little at my name. I freeze at her face in the doorway. How can I get away from her? How can I get away from her?

"Hi, Ida. Can I help you?"

"Yeah. The Parks Department wanted me to give this to you. It's some document about something. Don't really know what." she says, laughing a little.

I have an idea for how to get her off of me.

"Well, then read it."

"What, sorry?"

"If you don't know what it is, read the title!"

"Oh... I was just kidding Ben. I know it's the proposed Parks spending for 2013."

"Well, then why didn't you say that?"

"I was just... joking around. I thought you liked a little humor. I guess not then."

She thought that I liked humor, so she's trying to be funny around me.

"Well, work isn't a time for joking around is it?"

"It's good to have a positive outlook on anything. Laughter should never be barred."

Jeez. Why don't you like Chris?

"Wow. Ok. Uh, sorry. I agree. I'm just, not in the best of moods right now."

"Aw, what's going on?" She says, sitting in the chair in front of my desk.

You are not welcome to sit there, Ida.

"I'm just getting annoyed being away from my home. My house, my friends, my gir-"

"Well, hey, can't this be like a second home to you? Oh sorry, I cut you off. But Fredrickson is amazing. Sure, it's a bit bland on the outside, but there's some really nice people here once you get to know them."

"Yeah, I know. But Pawnee has some pretty amazing people as well. I miss, uh... April, Andy, my roommates, Leslie, my gir-" her phone starts ringing then.

"Oh, crap. I need to take this. But, I'll come back to talk to you later." She stands up to leave and I sigh. She means well, but I need to somehow tell her that I am not single. Chris stops by after she leaves.

"Was that Ida?"

"Parks sent her down to drop something off and she wouldn't leave afterwards."

"You have to tell her about Leslie. There's just no other option."

"I know. I tried to tell her, but she kept cutting me off."

"Keep trying, buddy!" Chris says, taking a seat at his own desk. It's been a bit since Chris has been my equal in work; for quite a while he's been my boss. There's somewhat of a weight off of my shoulders knowing that he's no longer my boss. I don't know why.