Part 30

Quick note from the author: Uh... HI! I didn't know there were so many of you reading this??? Seriously I just posted this because I was an obsessive little fangirl who wrote a long thing and thought "why not just put this publicly?". In fact, I originally didn't intend to post any more because I just had other preoccupying things. Then my email popped up with a notification that one of you had voted on it and that made me smile and I looked back. HOLY FRICK FRACK 1.1K VIEWS?!?! YOU GUYS!!! So as I said, I didn't intend to post more of this, and I'm also in progress of writing a novel (stay tuned for that!) that has a deadline (really soon too. God, help me) but I'm just going to post what I had written down originally. It's VERY rough and NOT edited, but I wanted to give you guys something! Thank you so much for being loyal people even though I haven't been loyal!

Love you all, 

K

I was originally going to write a lot of scenes in which Ben and Leslie were separate and barely even mentioning each other, but as I said, things have come up. 

Four months later....

I look back over the letter from Chris telling me that I'd be visiting Melbas. It's a small city in Ohio, that apparently needs some help with the Parks Department. Chris said he has a personal tie with the city manager there, and recommended me to help the department clean up its act.

I reread the letter again. I'm still unclear on what exactly I'll be doing. Whatever. I'll just figure it out there. This is the first time I've been out of Indiana in ages. Actually, this is one of the only times I've been out of Indiana. A whole week away from Pawnee? That seems excessive.

Forty seven minutes later, I am talking with Denise, the deputy director of the department. We walk down the hall together to the City Manager's office.

"So it's my understanding that you're having difficulty managing your department under budget?"

"That is correct."

"I've been the victim of some harsh budget cuts back in Pawnee. I have a couple of tricks up my sleeve."

"The government has hired an auditor to help, and he has actually been quite sympathetic with the Parks Department."

"That's good! You may be able to convince him to get you a bit more money."

"Didn't even think about that!"

"So let's talk about your current spendings." I accidentally bump into someone. "Oh! Sorry sir!"

"No problem." he says, continuing on his way.

I look ahead as to not run into anyone else. I wish I had kept my eyes on the papers that Denise was holding. I see him first, across the hall walking towards me. He looks at me, looks down, then does a double take. We lock eyes and stop walking.

"Leslie?" Denise says, concerned.

"Is there another way to get to the City Manager's office?" I ask, not breaking eye contact with Ben.

"Yeah.... There's another hallway but I-"

"We're going that way." I say, grabbing her shoulders and turning her around.

"Is there a problem?"

"What's the name of the auditor you were talking about?"

"Ben Wyatt, I think?"

"And how much will I have to interact with him?"

"Not too much, I don't think. Why-"

"No time to explain."

Don't look back, don't look back Leslie. I chant inside my head. Gah! I can't help myself! I throw a quick glance back and see Ben trying desperately to get through the sea of humanity to reach me. A man says his name and pulls him aside. He looks torn between running to me and staying there to talk to the man. I look away and, judging by the absence of loud footsteps, Ben stays to talk to the guy.

It then hits me that Chris didn't set this up for me to help the Parks Department.

A whole week....