Punishment

"Jiyong-ah… it’s been 3 weeks…"

It took almost two hours for you to get a response… even though he saw it after twenty minutes.

"Babe, I’m sorry… you know there’s nothing I can do about it…"

You threw your phone onto the bed beside you. It was always the same kind of response. No 'I’ll see if I can slip away for the night' or 'Come over to the dorm, you know the guys won’t mind' or even an attempt to make it up to you. Just a half-hearted apology.

You blinked away the tears you hadn’t realized were threatening to spill. It had been three weeks since you even heard your boyfriend’s voice. While jiyong was always one to be on the quiet side, the two of you had never gone more than a week without physically talking—and that was also when he was super busy preparing for a comeback. To make up for it jiyong always tried to keep messaging you every free moment he had.

But now…

Now he was becoming distant. For the last six months, jiyong had seemed to barely spare you a thought—let alone answer your messages. He would see them, but like tonight, would take much, much longer to respond. And you were really beginning to hate it.

A lot.

Something inside you seemed to snap, and you snatched up your phone. Pulling up the chat, you pounded away at the screen.

'Kwon jiyong. I can’t do this anymore. I’ve tried, but I don’t think I can put up with this shit for much longer. If you don’t show up to my apartment by 10pm tonight, then we are done.

I’ve had enough.'

Sending the message, you exited out of the app, not bothering—not wanting—to see whether or not he’ll see or respond to it. Glancing at the time, you realized that it was already 5pm. Somewhere deep inside you worried that he wouldn’t come because of the short notice and not being able to get away from a commitment. But the rest of you was too angry to care. If he wanted this relationship, then he would come.

_______________________________________

You squeezed your eyes shut, shaking slightly. It was already fifteen minutes past the time you gave jiyong, but you had waited. Maybe he was running late…

After cracking and opening the app, you found he had definitely seen the message. But no response.

Another 30 minutes passed…

11pm came and you wiped your tears away angrily. You had had so much faith in your relationship that had started years ago… long before he debuted. He had promised that though he couldn’t not put his career first, he would do everything he could to make sure you were still happy. You had understood. You knew he was telling the truth.Until about six months ago. Then he slowly started becoming more distant.

You stood up and started making your way to your room, tears streaming freely down your face. There was no point in wiping them away when they would come right back. However, just before you entered your room, you jumped at the sudden and loud knocking at your door. A panicked voice followed.

“Carol!!” jiyong’s voice was faint on the other side of the door. “carol, please, please, I didn’t mean to be late! Please, carol, open the door!” You felt anger bubble up in your chest as you stomped over to the door and wrenched the door open.

What you didn’t expect was to see jiyong, eyes red and puffy from crying, looking down at you with more pain than you had ever seen him express. You were suddenly engulfed in his arms.

“carol babe…” jiyong sobbed into your shoulder. “babe, I’m sorry… Please, please don’t leave me.” After a few seconds of being frozen in shock, you pushed him back.