Chapter 6

Chapter 6

"Maybe we aren't cut out for this, Money. Maybe I wasn't cut out for this." —Angel

I miraculously escaped the wreckage with no injuries, not even so much as a scratch. Once police arrived on the scene, because I was fine physically they rushed me down to the station to take statements, along with a few others who were willing to volunteer information as witnesses. However, I didn't say a word.

I spoke and answered questions to keep the façade I was a regular average woman, but I didn't give them any real information. Not that I had a lot of it myself. When they asked me who had done it I said I didn't know, which was technically true. When they asked me the color of the truck, I said I didn't know. The number of people in the car at the time, I told them I had no idea and what a possible motive was, I was clueless.

I had some things to go by, but I was not snitching. The mentality sounded stupid, but it was the environment I was raised in and snitching was a big no-no. I let the witnesses sing and say what they want while I lied or gave wrong information. The officers chalked it up to wrongful identity. They told me most likely these people were looking for someone else and mistook me for that person.

The jeep had been totaled and at this point would be in the shop for a long time or would be scrapped if the mechanics could not fix it. Money was contacted and he had to come get me from the police station. By time we leave it's near ten at night. Money is holding my hand on the ride home, but other than that it was quiet for the most time and I kind of appreciated it.

Once I get in I strip and go straight to the bathroom to shower. I had to stay in over an hour and at this point my skin is wrinkled and white. I was so sure I was dead. Flashbacks of my life going before me, the thought of me dying in the jeep was enough to make my eyes sting.

Just that easily I could've been in a chapel right now with a volunteer church group singing at my funeral. I don't think of myself as crybaby, but the weight of everything was coming down on me. These past few days have been so heavy. First with Capri giving Money the job offer to work in an underground world of crime we knew nothing about, to me finding out I was pregnant, to almost getting my head taken off by a group of unknown men.

It's SB...The words that one of them said rang in my head over and over. It sounded like they were very familiar with their enemy and knew exactly what they were talking about.

The shower curtain is yanked to the side but it doesn't startle me, at this point I'm numb. Money is standing there staring at me, he looks concerned. It makes me think about those guys shooting up the car while I was crouched down, praying Money would come and save me. It was the most terrifying moment of my life.

I do something I haven't done in a long time—I break down and cry. I burst into tears, water from the shower head still hitting my naked body. "I thought I was dead...I thought they were gonna kill me...I was so scared Money...I was so scared..." Gut wrenching sobs bounce against the walls as I try to keep talking, but my English language skills fails me.

Money pulls me into his body, soaking himself as well. He holds the back of my head to his chest, shushing me as he holds me so tight I feel like I can't breathe and it's honestly the only feeling I wanted right now. He kisses the top of my head. "Sshh. I know, everything is okay love, you're okay. I got you. Don't cry."

I continue to cry and he stands there and soothes me. After a good five minutes of nonstop wailing, I finally calm down a bit. Only enough to where my tears are silent and reduced to sniffles. Money turns off the water and reaches for my towel I neatly folded on the edge of the sink top. He wraps me in it and picks me up, carrying me bridal style into the bedroom.