Chapter 20

Chapter 20

"It's not that uncommon for me to go in this world without knowin' someone who shares my DNA. I think I'll sleep at night just fine." —Money

I was in the room next door, ignoring Angel howling while Capri was in front of me, trying to play peacemaker. I tried to leave but he had stopped me and pulled me into a different room. The door to the room we were in was closed and I could still hear her mouth. I wanted to pace back and forth so badly, but I didn't want to keep building up more anger than I had already.

"Don't walk out like this," Capri said, "that's your wife, man. Go in there and talk to her, sit down and have a heart to heart."

The only thing I wanted to do was leave. Go find Kareem Wyatt or something. I asked Capri where he was and he didn't want to tell me. He was probably somewhere on the outskirts of Miami, in some abandoned building somewhere chained to a radiator. Capri kept telling me now was not the time, I was too angry. He was right because all I had was murder on my mind.

There's a solid knock on the door and without asking, Capri just opens it. A woman walks in but it's not his wife. It's one of the other chicks. Some broad dressed like she was at the Oscar's. She looks me up and down and I could give a damn about how she felt.

"I don't know anything about you, but I just want to let you know we all heard the things you said, and it was beyond fucked up. You need to go apologize to her. She's a wreck over there."

"Tell Angel to go fuck herself." I say.

She looks shocked but I look away from her and to Capri. "Look, I really gotta go, if you don't have anything else to talk to about besides her, then I'll be on my way." I say walking around him and out the door.

I get downstairs and don't look at anybody as I exi. It wasn't hard to locate María who was already standing up by the front door. We get into the car and I peel out. We're whipping through the highway in complete silence. She keeps her mouth shut and I'm grateful for it.

I was fuming and I was absolutely serious about the divorce. Who the fuck did something like that? What Angel did was no better than what most women do. Keep a baby to trap a man, the only valid reason in her mind for it being okay was that we were married. I was not altering my life to appease her fuck up. Now was the time I was making money, connections and coming into power. Shit we never had before and she was worried about a baby. She sounded like a damn statistic. Like the typical girl from foster care who's greatest accomplishment was laying on her back and popping out a kid.

"Are you okay?" María asks after a while. I'm looking straight ahead at the road, so I don't know if she's looking at me or not.

I ignore her and continue to drive. One hand was on the wheel and the other was perched up the ledge of the car door, allowing my chin to rest in my hand. When we come to a red light I could feel her burning a hole through me and it was starting to annoy me. I don't care what she thought of me right now or if her perception of me changed from who I was in Colombia.

After some time I hear her voice again. Her voice was low and hoarse and I couldn't tell if she had been crying or not. The thought almost made me want to laugh. Women were so dramatic. "Who was that? Your girlfriend?" She asks. She still had it in her head that I had someone on the side. I did, but I wonder why she still never believed me when I said that I didn't.

I swerve to the right to speed past a car going twenty four miles per hour. Had to be some old person or someone who just learned how to drive. I turn the radio up, and sped up catching a couple more lights before I was forced to stop at a red one.