Chapter 23

Chapter 23

"Girl fuck you and your job. I hope the next operation you do, you die in the line of work." —Angel

I sat there playing with my fingers, lost in thought.

"Hey sweetheart, I'm gonna need you to look up here." Michael stated calmly, snapping his fingers.

I slowly raise my head and look at him sitting across from me. His head was in one hand as he studied me. It was making me uncomfortable, probably a tactic to make me feel like that on purpose. His fingers made a rhythmic beat on the table, while his eyes scanned my face. I blew out a breath and shifted my gaze away from him again.

My life was everywhere. One day Money and I were in foster care. Next we were young married teens, then we went to local stickup kids, to getting caught up in a web of murder and organized crime, to being interrogated by the FBI.

"I hope you have a warrant to search my house." I say.

"Of course, little girl. Unlike some of us sloppy killers, I make sure to cover my tracks. And quiet frankly, that should be the last thing on your mind right now, trust me."

He leans back in his chair, "I want to make you a proposal."

I wanted to tell him fuck his proposal. I was still processing the fact he was a federal agent. Him, Capri, Patrick and all the girls. Those fake ass bitches I trusted. But I guess it serves me right for befriending women I hardly knew.

"We both know you're not innocent in any of this, but that's beside the point. Who we want is in the other room. So how about I make you a deal? You give me Money, tell me everything and you'll walk out of here free."

There was no expression on his face, just a hard stare. He was serious.

"If you can tell me everything we need to know about Money, every charge we come up with will be pinned on him and you'll walk free. You can live your life and never look back." He continued.

Turn my back on Money, the idea once would've sounded so foreign. However, this man had been the source of my pain for so long. I once couldn't once go more than three hours without calling him. But this was the same man that slept around on me for half of our marriage, verbally abused me and left me over our unborn child. I was so angry, so bitter. I wanted nothing more than for him to pay.

The door opened and in walked Kianna, Tammy and Nicole. I felt a surge of anger rush through me, but I stayed calm. Nicole had a white plastic bag in her hand as they came over.

"Did you tell her about our compromise?" Nicole asked Michael, rummaging through the bags on the table. She pulled out something wrapped in foil and placed a cup of coffee on a brown tray in front of Michael.

I could hear my stomach grumbling, I didn't even know what was in the bag but everything smelled good.

"Yeah, she didn't answer yet." Michael said unwrapping the item in foil to reveal a bagel with cream cheese.

The rest of the girls took sandwiches out and cups of either tea or coffee out the bag. They all pulled up some chairs around the table like it was family gathering, as they began to eat. Once I thought nothing else was in the bag Tammy reaches in and pulls out the last sandwich, wrapped in clear plastic. A turkey and cheese.

"I bet you're hungry." Tammy says, sliding it across to me. She then takes a cup out the brown carton tray and places it in front of me.

I look down at the food, my mouth almost watering. I was so hungry and I wanted it so badly, but I was better than that. I look away from it, ignoring the hunger pains. I look exclusively at Michael, even though he wasn't the one who asked me the question. "I'm not hungry."