Chapter 24

Chapter 24

"I'm proud of you, ma. I don't care that you said something to the Feds. You still my ride or die, aight? Don't worry about me, you have a little boy to think about. I'll be fine where I'm at. The only thing you need to do is raise your son and teach him to never be like me. Teach him to be a man." —Money

I watched as Capri talked quietly on his phone, seeming to get more agitated by the second. He puffed air out his nose and moments later, firmly placed his phone on the table face down.

"You okay? You seem upset." I say.

"You don't ever shut the fuck up, do you?" He said, looking in my direction.

My right eye was a little swollen and my lip was busted. After sitting here for hours and getting no confession out of me, they got frustrated and started roughing me up. Regular police type shit. They even tried playing this dumb ass psychological mind game on me. Trying to get me to pin everything on Angel and telling me some dumb shit about I'd walk free.

I wasn't a lawyer so I didn't know the law that well, but I wasn't dumb.

"You're one lucky piece of shit, you know that? Get up." Capri said yanking me up from my seat.

He dragged me toward the door and another agent opened it for him. Outside the room door he pulls a single key from his pocket and unlocks the handcuffs. He took them and instantly I started rubbing my wrists. There were prints left in my skin from how tight they were.

We walk down this long corridor and when we bend the corner, I almost bump into Angel. Michael is behind her and I notice the look on her face. Her small jaws are clenched and her lips are trembling, trying to hold tears back. Her eyes are glassy and her face is red.

"The fuck you do to her?" I say taking a step toward Michael, only to get pulled back by Capri.

"I don't know, what did I do?" He said giving me an evil smirk.

Capri gave him a sharp glare. "Agent Kingston, cut it out."

I could feel the anger surging inside of me. "What did you do to her?"

No one was answering me so I turned to Angel. "Angel, what's going on? Look at me.

Instead she turned away from me, she really hated me. Right now, in front of these people I didn't need her showing our differences. She could at least pretend. I think she realized herself because when I gently turned her chin toward me, this time she let's me.

"Angel tell me, did he hit you? Say something. Just tell me baby, you know you could tell me anything. What's wrong?" I turn and look over my shoulder, "Can I talk to her alone for like five minutes, please?"

"No." Michael said.

"You can use this room." Capri said pointing to a random room. "You have three minutes, leave the door open."

I help guide Angel inside and we go to the furthest corner away from the door. All the way on the other side. She braces her back against the wall while I'm facing her. Her face is still stoic except for the trembling lips and glassy eyes. I had done so much to this woman.

I study her for a moment, assuming the worst. My eyes narrow as my thoughts fly from one theory to the next. "Did he touch you?"

For the first time she looks at me, blinking slowly. I think it was her way of telling me it was nothing like that.

"Then what's going on? Please just tell me."

I took in her appearance—and I mean really stood there and took her in. Her fists were squeezed together at her sides and she was shaking like a leaf. Her eyes were bloodshot and filled with tears. Quivering lips and just an overall mess. It dawned on me right away what was wrong.