A Bump in the Road

Liam's POV

"Lithification is the process in which sediments are compressed and put under great pressure and hence formed into sedimentary rock.." Mr lanigan droned on. Who actually wants to know this stuff? It's not like someone's going to stop me someday and ask me to explain how a river is formed or what an igneous rock is. No one actually cares!
"Liam! Perhaps you'd like to give us an example of an intrusive igneous rock, seen as you're so attentive" he mocked. He's such an ass. Always picking on the people who have clearly been daydreaming.
"Amm..." I stammered nervously as everyone turned around to look at me. "Shale?"
"Mr malikson were you even on this planet during the last 20 minutes? Shale isn't even an igneous rock! How do you expect to pass your exams when you can barely listen for 20 minutes? This your final warning Liam, if I have to correct you again your parents will be involved got it?"
I just nodded slowly, swallowing the lump in my throat. Final warning? That was my first bloody warning! I didn't even do anything wrong!
Kyle looked back at me in pity and rolled his eyes offering me a sympathetic smile and a explicit hand gesture towards mr lanigan as soon as he turned back around to the board, earning a choked laugh from me as well as the few others in the class who saw it. Kyle always knew how to cheer  people up when they're in a bad mood.
Suddenly the bell to signal lunchtime rang and I found myself gathering up my books and walking out as fast as my legs would take me. Thank god for no homework. We already got two essays and 3 tests to study for tomorrow.
As I approached the cafeteria i could saw the lads and Sophia all sitting at our usual spot. I couldn't help but notice that she looked a bit pale. Maybe school is stressing her out too much? Dad can easily get her into some online classes or something so she can do everything in her own time and it might be better for the baby too and even for a few weeks after the baby is born so she has some time to recover and get back to herself. School from bed... That sounds amazing.
I grabbed my lunch from my bag and  took my seat at the table, greeting everyone and giving Sophia a quick peck on the cheek.
"How you doin' babe?" I asked lowly, noticing a distance in her eyes.
"I feel like crap" she murmured but Sophia being Sophia just smiled through the sick feeling and didn't draw attention to it. It's probably so no one would find out though.
"Should I call home? Dads free today he can collect you"
"Leave it for another half an hour and I'll see if it passes" she mumbled. All I could do was nod and rub my thumb over her knuckles as our hands tangled under the table.
We all continued to chat aimlessly amongst each other. Amy and Tristan were arguing over an Instagram caption while Leah, Ciara and Kyle discussed how run down this school had become. They wouldn't be too far wrong though, like just last week I found a used condom on the bathroom floor. Used.
"Liam, maybe you should ring Louis" Sophia interrupted, her forehead shining with a cold sweat.
"We're gonna go get some air." I announced as we stood up slowly and I carefully wrapped my hand around her waist. As we walked out of the cafeteria I could see her usual shallow tone drop to new shades of pure white that if honestly never seen before. I quickly took out my phone and sent as quick text

To dad:
Sophia's not well, come quick, somethings defiantly not right

The air that hit our skin as we opened the doors of the school was rejuvenating. Well for me it was, I can't say the same for Soph. I grabbed her a chair from the inside and carefully lowered her down on it, not trusting her body to sit independently.
"Just focus on your breathing, love. It might help a bit" I advised, seeing her hands shake as she pushed her hair from her eyes. I took a hair tie from her wrist and gently gathered her dark hair into a ponytail, not the best one but a ponytail is a ponytail, and tied it back from her face.
"Thanks" she whispered weakly with a crooked smile.
"No problem darling. Would you like some water?"
"No, I'm fine."
She truly looks miserable. Even her eyes lack that magnificent sparkle that they usually carry.
Just as I was about or get really impatient, dad pulled up at the main entrance of the school, despite the ban of driving into the teachers car park, where he literally just parked.
"What's going on Liam?" His tone was worried as he left the window down a little so that Harry wouldn't get to hot while he slept in the backseat of the car and jogged over to us.
"Sophia feels ill and she needs to go home and get some rest." I answered briefly. Sophia never did tell me what exactly was wrong with her so i can hardly explain what's going on.
"Hmm, you are a very unnatural shade of white, love. Were you feeling this poorly this morning?" He quizzed with furrowed eyebrows as he gauged her temperature with the back of his hand on her forehead.
"No, it just kind of came on all of a sudden... I think I'm gonna be sick" she groaned as she sat forward, earning a few concerned glares from passing students but most of them just ignoring us what with them being late for class and stuff.
"Liam why don't you go get her some water" dad asked wearily. Although I was suspicious, I still left her side slowly and walked towards the vending machine. Big mistake.