A little too early

Louis POV

September 18th- the big day had finally arrived. The vibrant blue Thomas the tank engine bag pack was sat on the kitchen worktop, filled with healthy snacks and drinks for the day ahead, his new light up shoes were waiting to be worn for the first time and the smell of pancakes wafted through the house. Everything seemed to be in order except I couldn't quite find were Niall had scampered off to in the rush of the early morning preparations. He never really expressed much interest in going to play school, kindergarten or whatever they call it nowadays. He always seemed fairly content to potter around in the house but he's 3 now and making friends his own age is becoming an necessity that I don't want him to miss out on.
Zayn was currently dressed in his usual work clothes; a jumper and some jeans because he feels that he's 'too cool' to dress more formally. Apparently it's not 'down with the kids' to wear ties and whatnot despite the fact that all the kids wear them as part of their uniforms and their all only 8 or 9 but anyway.
"Zee have you seen ni anywhere? I'm getting the feeling he doesn't want to go" I asked softly, rubbing a hand over my face as I tried to gather myself.
"He doesn't know anything other than being with us Lou, he's gonna feel nervous, that's only natural but he'll love it once he's in there playing with the other kids and all the new toys. He'll be begging to stay!" Zayn answered through a mouthful of pancake as he attempted to feed Harry a yoghurt that he could just about manage to get down.
"'M just worried is all. He's my baby, it feels like only yesterday we were bringing him home and now look at him! All set to go to play school. Soon he'll be packing up for college and leaving the nest."
Zayn only laughed in response earning a scowl from me as he rocked back and forth with laughter.
"He's going to play school. He's gonna do great and were not on a soap opera. You need to chill a bit lad! He's 3 we have plenty of time before he goes to Uni.... Speaking of which, you should do a drama degree drama queen." He sassed earning him an even bigger scowl and a playful swat across the head.
"I'm so good at drama apparently so I'm just going to go and ACT like you're junk is big..." I retorted, smiling widely as zayn chuckled to himself hysterically, simultaneously giving the infant in front of him another spoon full of strawberry yogurt. Honestly more went around his mouth than in it but what can you do.
"Never heard you complain about it before mate" he shrugged with a smug smile tugging at his lips. The same one he always has when he's proud of a joke or a comeback.
"Oh give it a rest malik. Any idea where I'll find Niall?"
"Honestly, no but shout words that make him laugh and he'll give himself away in no time ... And FYI, it's malikson for the last 9 years babe"
All I could do was role my eyes at him, unable to cover up my huge smile. Playful zayn was always my favourite zayn. It's what made me fall for him in the first place all those years ago.
I trotted up the stairs lightly in my bare feet, guessing that since the baby gate at the top of the stairs locked, Niall probably hasn't stirred too far from his room.
I'd searched his room, the bathroom, Harry's room, the hot press and even the stairway to the attic seen as there's no way he would be able to open Liam and Sophia's bedroom door if he got up the stairs anyway. The only place left really was mine and zayns room.
I slowly bent down, hoping to catch a glimpse is my blue eyed son under the bed but I was greeted with multiple plastic boxes of photos, memories and my extensive collection of vans.
Next was the wardrobe however all that hung there were jeans, tracksuit pants, hoodies and the occasional suit or shirt.
The same void result came from the wash basket, the curtains and behind the chest of drawers and my heart was beginning to drop. What if he just isn't ready for school? He might just need more time to get used to the idea of being away from us for a while during the day. But then zayns advice from earlier replayed in my head.
"Farts" I shouted as peels of laughter erupted from the storage box at the foot of our bed which is usually full to the brim with toys and blankets and onesies and whatever else a baby could possibly require.
"You rascal" I chided, tickling the toddler as his contagious laugh diffused around the room.
"No daddy no" he screeched through his laughter while he squirmed awkwardly.
"Come downstairs and we'll get your new shoes on. I'm sure you'll have the coolest trainers in your class!" I remarked excitedly, trying desperately to make school sound like an amazing place but the way his smile vanished immediately at the mention of the place it was obvious that he wasn't buying it. My heart was sinking on the inside but he needs to go.
"Chin up buttercup! I know you're going to make tonnes of friends! And if you promise to be a good boy we'll go to Giovanni's afterwards and you can pick out something, deal?"
"Fine, but that doesn't mean I wike it" he murmured with a pout as I picked him out of the box and held him on my hip, kissing his soft, dirty blonde locks while he cuddled close to my chest, leaving his warm breathe fan out over my neck. He was always so vibrant and full of life but at the moment he's the exact opposite.
"I love you baby. Papa and I are so proud of our big boy."
"No go" he mumbled helplessly.
Zayn raised an eyebrow, catching the toddlers statement. We quickly exchanged eye contact confirming one thing; getting him into school would be an absolute nightmare.