Chapter Four

Dedicated to Runes_Rock for her lovely banner--Thank you!

The Team Barbeque is the same as it is every year. As usual, it's being held in the backyard of Tom Mathews, Cassi's most recent ex-boyfriend. His house is too small for everyone to crowd around the kitchen, so the buffet line and plastic tables are arranged in the yard. There's a long table nearest the house, piled with the regular barbeque foods: four types of fruit salad, bowls of potato chips, and an overflowing supplies of hotdogs and hamburgers. At the very end, a few store-bought packages of cookies sit beside a hefty cake, decorated to look like a swimming pool.

Though I normally spend the barbeque either sitting with my friends or trailing behind Cassi like a lost puppy, I am determined to make up for my embarrassing charade last week. I don't bother talking with the 'popular' crowd, and instead end up hanging out with the newest wave of freshman swimmers. I figure I can at least get their votes for team captain. So, I am attempting to play a game of volleyball with them.

For the third time in a row, I dramatically dive to the ground in an attempt to hit the ball, and end up missing it by almost a foot. The kids on my team groan loudly, making me blush. My plan of winning them over isn't exactly going as hoped.

"Hey, you wanna come eat?" Alex suddenly appears in front of my face, but it still takes me a moment to realize he's addressing me.

I blink a few times before stuttering, "Uh, yeah sure."

My team-surprisingly-doesn't seem too broken up about my removal from the game. I walk beside Alex, not really sure what to say and completely confused as to why he wanted me to eat with him.

"So, how do you like swim?" I ask, trying to break the awkward silence.

"It's good. A lot better than last year." His grin is kind of crooked, making him look like a little boy who hasn't learned how to smile properly.

"That's great." We're at the table now, glancing over the different options. I can't help but crinkle my nose at the flies that buzz over the uncovered potato salad.

"Not a fan of bugs?" asks Alex, and I can't help but laugh.

"Not when they're in my food," I say, but nonetheless start loading a plate.

We're pretty much quiet until we sit down, a few feet from Cassi and her group of friends. My stomach suddenly drops when I realize why Alex is randomly talking to me. I had completely forgotten my conversation with Cassi last week.

"Did Cassi tell you to come talk to me?" I ask, pushing my food around on my plate. I try to keep my voice casual, but it's kind of hard when you realize someone's being forced to hang out with you.

"Yeah," says Alex with a sheepish grin.

"You could've just told her no. You don't have to do whatever she says," I snap. I know I'm being unfair. After all, I probably would've done the same thing. But, I am just so sick of people being my friend, simply because Cassi told them to. For all I know, Cassi's paying Keely and Sarah to tolerate me.

"I know, but I kinda wanted to." He's blushing now. He's got to be the shyest kid I've ever met.

"Oh well, alright then." I don't exactly know what to say. I'm not even sure what he meant by that. Did he mean he wanted to do whatever Cassi says, or did he mean he wanted to come talk to me?

"You don't have to sit with me if you don't want to." His cheeks are so red they look sunburnt, and I can't help but feel guilty. I really shouldn't be taking this out on him.