Chapter Sixteen

By the time we get back to the pool room, the second heat of the boys' 400 freestyle relay is already over.  I missed my event by a long shot, but Elliot is able to make it just in time.  A good portion of the team is down at the opposite end, ready to cheer on our fastest group of swimmers.  My cheeks flush as I realize that they were probably ready to cheer for us girls when I never showed up.  I don't even want to think about what Cassi will say.

            Elliot is swimming anchor, which means he is the last to go.  I can't help but chew on my nails as he finally gets onto the diving block.  Tom is just barely in second place with the third-place swimmer quickly gaining.  My eyes flicker back to Elliot, who fiddles with his goggles as though he isn't just seconds away from racing.  Just as Tom approaches the wall, he snaps the goggles over his eyes, crouches down, and springs off the board.  My team explodes at the other end, screaming his name and jumping up and down.  I notice that most of the cheering group are girls with Cassi front and center, her damp curls springing around her face. 

            I glance from the timing board to Elliot.  He moves through the pool almost lazily, as though swimming so fast takes no effort at all.  The third-place swimmer practically disappears from the race, and then, it's only Elliot and a swimmer from Boise.  I bite down against my lip until it bleeds.  There isn't enough pool left.  It seems impossible that he'll make up the lost time, but he does.  The Boise swimmer is losing steam, but Elliot only moves faster.  The flags come into view, and with a final stretch, Elliot slams into the wall.  I whip my neck back to the timing board.  The two almost tied, but Elliot won.  Just barely.

            An eruption of screams comes from the end of Elliot's lane.  By the triumphant look on everyone's faces, I realize this must've been the winning event for our team.  I don't even want to think about what would've happened if Elliot hadn't shown up on time.  Would've we lost?  My stomach drops as I wonder if I have lost the meet for our girls' team.  Nobody will ever speak to me again if they know I lost our meet because I was crying in a hallway.

            Elliot pulls himself from the pool.  The Boise swimmer steps forward, claps a hand against Elliot's chest—a little harder than a friendly congratulations—and speaks into his ear.  The two boys regard each other dangerously for a moment before Elliot finally walks away, slamming his shoulder against the Boise swimmer's as he does. 

            I consider going over to the team area, but I'm too afraid to face them.  Instead, I jump into the warm-down lane and get a head start on our final exercise.  Soon, the pool fills with swimmers from all teams.  I know I'll have to apologize to everyone soon enough, but right now, I'm going to pretend it never happened.

****

            "Finn!"

I flinch at the sound of my name.  I managed to find another bathroom after the meet came to a close.  The girls' team ended up losing by a landslide, so at least I don't have to feel guilty for losing us the meet.  Still, I didn't want to see my relay mates, who I know will be upset I never showed.

            "Hey, Sarah."  I bite down on my lower lip.  "Where's Keely?"

            "Still changing."  Sarah rings out her hair and glances over her shoulder.  There aren't many people still in the pool room.  Most have already headed back to their designated bus by now.

            "Oh."

            "Where were you for the relay?" she asks. 

            "I didn't feel very well."  It isn't exactly a lie.  After all, I was an emotional wreck.

            "Coach is pretty pissed."  She switches her bag over her shoulder.  "I knew you had a good excuse though.  Are you feeling better?"