Chapter Two *Edited*

Chapter Two

Jenna sits in the back seat of our bug, sprawled out with her bare feet pressed against the window. She comes over after every practice—a tradition I have not missed in the least. I dig my fingernails into the steering wheel's groove, trying to drown out her loud gum chewing.

"Did you see that new guy?" she asks, still smacking away.

"Obviously," says Cassi. "But I have dibs. Calling it now."

"No way," says Jenna. "He's way too hot for the rules of dibs."

"Just trust me," says Cassi, wheeling around to face Jenna. Her wet hair slaps against my cheek.

"Do you even know his name?" asks Jenna. She blows a bubble.

"Yes, it's Elliot," says Cassi. Then she spins to face me, slapping me with her hair again. "I wish you could've been there Finn. He's precious."

"I was there," I say. I fiddle with the air conditioning, frowning when nothing comes through the vent.

"Yeah, but not really," says Cassi. She pops down the visor to check her teeth in the mirror.

Jenna steers the conversation to other boys on the team. Cassi prattles about her ex-boyfriends and Jenna gushes over Aaron, a senior boy she wants to take to Homecoming. Simply hearing the word makes me feel cold. Last year's dance wasn't exactly one for the scrapbooks. Cassi bribed some guy to take me, and then, he stood me up anyway.

When we get home, I disappear into my room to call Sarah. Unsurprisingly, Keely picks up the phone. I'm not sure when it happened, but sometime over the summer, we transformed from FinnSarahKeely to Finn and SarahKeely. I lick my lips and clear the knot from my throat.

"I, uh, just wanted the 411 on Alex," I say. For some reason, I can't bring myself to mention Elliot.

"One sec, I'll get Sarah," says Keely. There's a murmuring in the background.

"Hey Finn," says Sarah. "I didn't really get much on Alex. I was too distracted by the new guy. Elliot, I think he's called."

I belly flop onto my bed and kick my shoes onto the floor. I'm barely adjusted when Cassi knocks on my door, opening it before I have the chance to answer.

"Hey, we just ordered a pizza. We're gonna watch a movie," she says. "You wanna come?"

"No thanks, I'm on the phone," I say, and I point at my ear, as if it's not obvious.

"You can talk to them tomorrow," says Cassi. "Come hang out with us. It'll be fun."

I purse my lips, but Cassi's glare doesn't fade. Finally, I tell Sarah that I have to go. I hang up the phone and crawl out of bed. Cassi gives me that smug smile before leading the way into the living room.

. . .

Jenna stays the night, and the three of us end up falling asleep on the couch. I wake up the next morning to the front door slamming shut. Cassi waltzes toward me, crunching over a fallen bag of popcorn.

"So, tell me all about practice," says Cassi. She perches on the couch's armrest.

"It was hot," I say. "I didn't do much. How was yours?"

"It was so much fun," says Cassi, flailing her hand toward me. "I don't know why you didn't play. You would've had a great time."

I hold back a sigh. "I'll play today."