chapter two

Brazil Dawson is awoken by someone poking her cheek. She peeks one eye open and sees a 6-year-old girl staring at her. A cheeky smile is spread across the little girls pink lips and a small giggle escapes them.

"Mum, five more minutes," Brazil whines. The girl giggles and pokes her mum again.

"Mum it's me, Zalia," she reminds in a sweet voice.

Brazil opens her eyes fully and takes in her gorgeous daughter. With her long blonde hair and bright blue eyes, she looks like a miniature version of herself. Brazil loves that Zalia looks like her, she doesn't like to think about the girl's father. He wasn't a bad guy, just decided he wanted to fulfill his dreams first and moved to America. Brazil told him that if he left he would have absolutely no contact with Zalia ever and then he was gone.

Brazil doesn't mind though, she is happy it's just her and Zali, taking on the world. Zalia grabs her mum's hand and tries to pull her out of bed.

"Mummy I'm hungry and I have school," Zalia whines. Brazil chuckles and allows her daughter to pull her out of bed. Looking at the clock she sees she has an hour to get then both ready for the upcoming day. She follows the child to the kitchen and starts her oatmeal. Once it's prepared she grabs herself a banana and quickly gobbles it up.

"Zalia baby," Brazil says, cleaning the kitchen quickly. "I'm going to hurry and shower and get ready for work. When you are done eating, please get dressed in the clothes we set out and then you can watch 'Little Einsteins' until I'm ready to do your hair."

The girl nods and continues eating her breakfast. Brazil kisses the top of her head then rushes to her bathroom. Even though she had Zalia at only 18, she wouldn't want her life anyway else.

She turns on the hot water and quickly jumps in, washing her hair with her vanilla and coconut shampoo. After conditioning and washing her body, she climbs out and pulls on her work clothes. A black pencil skirt and a white button up blouse. Brazil blow dries her hair and throws a few curls in it before applying mascara and brushing her teeth.

Brazil leaves her room and heads to the living room to find her daughter dressed and ready for her to do her hair.

"We're going on a trip in our favorite rocket ship flying through the sky, little Einsteins," Zalia sings along with the Telly and Brazil smiles at the sound. She turns off the program to get the girls attention.

"Let's do your hair monkey," Brazil says and Zalia stands up happily and rushes to the bathroom. She sits patiently on the toilet while her mum does her hair, pulling half of it back with a clip and curling it. When she's finally done, Zalia brushes her teeth. The pair gather their things needed for the day and walk out of the house and to Brazil's red Audi.

"Okay sweetheart," Brazil starts while driving to the girl's school. Zalia smiles happily at the older woman, loving when she calls her that. "I'm not sure who will pick you up today, either me or Aunt El."

"When is Lola going to be back?" Zalia asks.

"In a few days baby," Brazil answers. Her best friend, Lola Horan, was on holiday with her husband. "Then she'll pick you up like before."

They are at the school now and Brazil gets out of the car, along with Zalia, her backpack slung over her shoulders. Brazil bends down, as best she can in a tight skirt and heels, and hugs her daughter.

"Have a good day love," Brazil kisses Zalia's forehead. "I'll see you later. I love you."

"Love you mummy," Zalia says before running to the school and through the door to find her friend Ed. They're not in the same class but he is really nice to her. Brazil gets back into her car and drives to SYCO records. She is the receptionist of the building, her good friend Eleanor got her this job and is now her boss. After parking, she walks into the building and takes her post. Eleanor approaches her after an hour or so. "Hey Brez. How's it going?"

"It's good El," Brazil smiles. "I actually need to ask you something. Could I possibly leave early to get Zalia from school?"

"Simon has a meeting so I will need you to be here to direct people," Eleanor informs. "But I can get her and bring her back. I'm sure Simon will love to see her again."

Brazil has been working there for a couple years, and has grown quite close to Simon Cowell. He loves Zalia like his own and always asks for her and Brazil to call him Uncle Si.

"Thank you so much El," Brazil smiles thankfully. Eleanor offers a fond smile and turns away, letting Brazil get back to her work. The day goes by quickly and soon Simon walks into the building.

"Good afternoon Mr. Cowell," Brazil greets with a smile. Simon shoots her a fake glare.

"How many times have I asked you to call me Uncle Si?" he banters playfully and Brazil giggles.

"I'm sorry Uncle Si," Brazil replies with a smile.

"Is that beautiful little girl of yours coming in today?" Simon smiles like a proud father.

"Yes actually. Eleanor is going to get her after school."

"Great. Have her come to my office after the meeting," Simon offers. "She can be with me til the end of your day."

"That sounds lovely Simon," Brazil agrees.

.......