Haru x Reader (Free!)

"Okay, class," your teacher, Ama-chan, said as she passed out flyers to each student. "I'm going to partner you up with a classmate to work on your essays about Shakespeare. I expect you to graciously accept whatever partner you're assigned to, alright?"

You leaned back in your chair and flashed Haru, your best friend, a smile. The two of you were especially close with Ama-chan, seeing as she oversaw the Iwatobi swim club. She always partnered the two of you up on assignments.

"...and, finally, Haru Nanase and (y/f/n)," your teacher read, finishing off the list of partners. Ama-chan gave you all a huge smile just as the bell rang. "I'll see you all after lunch!"

"Yay! We're together, Haru!" you cheered to the black-haired boy, rushing up to him. "You want to come over to my place later to work on it?"

"Sure," Haru shrugged. "But you have to do most of the essay. I don't like work."

You rolled your eyes.

"Yeah, right. We're supposed to be working on this together, remember?"

"Hey, (y/n)! Hey, Haru!" Makoto said as he ran up to the two of you, smiling. "Ready to head up to the roof for lunch?"

"Sure! Come on, Haru!" you cried, grabbing his hand.

For some reason, Haru turned beet red. He just nodded as you dragged him up toward the roof.

When you got there, you saw Gou, Nagisa, and Rei already waiting for you.

"Hey, guys!" Gou smiled, waving. Rei gave a brief nod of acknowledgement, while Nagisa ran up to the three of you.

"Mako-chan! Haru-chan! (y/n)-chan! There you are!" he shouted, wrapping the three of you in a hug. He glanced at Haru and added, "Haru-chan, why do you look like a tomato?"

"I don't," Haru replied curtly, folding his arms.

Gou smirked as she said, "Ohhhhhh, is it because (y/n) was holding your hand when you guys arrived?"

"Gou! We're not dating. We don't like each other that way," you corrected, sighing.

However, you had noticed that Haru had been behaving oddly lately. Whenever you touched him, he usually turned some shade of red or pink, though he never pulled away. And whenever the two of you were alone, he'd get all flustered and embarrassed. You had wondered a few times if he had a crush on you, but you had always dismissed the idea. You were only friends, right?

You were silent the rest of lunch as you pondered this. You weren't sure if your friends noticed that you kept on stealing curious glances at Haru. One time, he had caught you staring, and the two of you were locked in each other's gazes until Gou said, "I totally ship you guys."

After lunch, Gou stopped you.

"(y/n), have you ever considered that Haru might have feelings for you?" she asked once the rest of the club was out of earshot.

You froze up for a moment before shaking your head.

"Gou - uh, sorry, I mean Kou - there's no way. Haru and I have been best friends since first grade. We've practically known each other our whole lives. If he liked me, I would have noticed by now."

Gou sighed.

"You're so dense. Why do you think he turns firetruck red whenever you touch him? You could even just brush his hand and he'll blush!"

"Look, even if he did like me - which he doesn't, by the way - there's no way I'm going to make a move on him. I can't handle being rejected again."