L x Reader (Death Note)

It had been a perfectly ordinary day so far - you had gotten up at 7 in the morning, taken a shower, gotten dressed, and eaten a bowl of cereal for breakfast, as usual. After that, you had driven to the coffee shop that you worked at and set up for the day. 

Then, he walked in.

A young man with heavy bags under his eyes, messy black hair, pale skin, and extremely simple clothing - a plain white t-shirt and jeans. Even stranger, he was barefoot. You wondered mildly if you should kick him out of the shop, since it was technically against your policy to serve people if they weren't wearing any shoes, but you decided to be kind to him and let him stay in. 

When he reached the counter, you smiled at him, trying your best not to stare, and asked, "Good morning, sir! What can I get for you today?"

Just then, your fellow co-worker and best friend, (b/f/n), butted in. Glancing over the shoulder, they asked the young man, "So, are you emo or something?"

Your mouth dropped open in embarrassment. The man stared at your friend blankly as they continued, "Or are you Goth?"

"Okay, (b/f/n)," you hissed, shoving them toward the back room, "I think it's your break time, isn't it?"

Face burning, you returned to the counter, where the man was still waiting. 

"S-sorry about that, sir," you laughed nervously. "To make up for my idiot friend, I'll get you whatever you order on the house."

"No," the man spoke.

"Huh?" you asked quizzically. 

"In response to your friend's question, no, I am not 'emo' or Goth," he responded with a straight face. "I personally believe that that style is more suited for people in their mid-teens. Being 22, that fashion choice is very much inappropriate for me."

"O-oh, okay," you said, surprised by his intelligently-worded answer. Because he looked like such a mess, you had expected him to answer in short grunts.

I find people like him really interesting, you thought with a smile. 

"Anyway, what would you like to order, sir?"

"I'd like a cup of tea with exactly two and a half cups of sugar," he stated. "I'd like a donut as well, please."

You blinked in shock before saying, "U-um... alright then, sir. What's your name?"

"L," he answered.

"Like the letter?" you wondered, cocking your head to the side in confusion.

"Yes," the man - L - said.

You found yourself grinning again as you said, "That's a really cool name, actually."

L seemed to smile for a moment.

"Thank you..." he started, trailing off as he glanced at your name tag, "(y/n)."

"No problem," you responded cheerfully. You got started on his tea. Once it was done brewing, you measured out two and a half cups of sugar before dumping it into his tea. You stirred it around with a large serving spoon in the tea, surprised when the sugar was able to actually dissolve completely. You grabbed a donut out of the pastry rack with a pair of tongs and slid it into a pastry bag. You placed it on the pick-up counter.

"L!" you called out, glancing around the shop for him.

"Thank you," he said, taking the tea and the donut from you.

"Thank goodness," you sighed aloud, stretching your arms, "It's finally my break time."

"Then I'd like you come sit with me," L said, who was still standing at the counter.