Light x Reader (Death Note)

"You are one of the youngest people we've ever had working on a case like this," Police Chief Yagami admitted with a slight chuckle. 

"I'm honored to be working with the police force to find out the identity of Kira, sir," you said politely, holding in your excitement. 

You were sitting across from the police chief in his office, finalizing the details on your new job. He had tracked you down after seeing your incredibly high IQ score and personally asked you to join the Kira investigation.  

"I'm glad to hear that," Chief Yagami said, smiling tiredly. "You will be working alongside my son, Light. I'll call him to my office so you can meet him."

"Alright," you responded as Chief Yagami picked up the phone on his desk and dialed in a few numbers. 

"Please ask Light Yagami to report to my office," the chief said before hanging up.

A minute or so later, you heard the door open. You turned around as a boy said, "Hello, Dad."

You studied the boy - who you guessed was Light - as he strode in. He took the seat next to you and took a glance at your face. 

"Who is this?" Light asked politely.

"This is (y/n)," Chief Yagami answered. "(y/n) will be partnered with you on the Kira case. I expect you to treat them graciously."

"Of course I will, Dad," Light said evenly. He turned to you and stuck out his hand. "I'm Light. Light Yagami. In case you haven't already guessed, this man is both my father and my boss."

"I'm (y/n)," you responded, cautiously shaking his hand. "Well, you already knew that, though."

"I can't wait to work with you on solving this case," he smiled.

"Me, too," you replied, blushing slightly.

"I'll have you two get started tomorrow," Chief Yagami said, standing up. "It's getting late - the two of you will need your rest. I'll see you tomorrow, (y/n). Welcome to the team."

"Thank you," you said, standing up as well. You walked out of the room and went to the water fountain.

You couldn't help but think about Light as you drank.

He's very charming, I'll give him that. He's... even a little cute, I'll admit. I like him already, and I guess that's a good thing. But... there's something about him I don't trust. He's a little too friendly. And his gaze... it's so cold and calculating.

"Hello, (y/n)," someone said, startling you.

Choking a little bit, you stood up and wiped the water from your mouth.

"H-hi, Light," you said, coughing a little bit. "I th- I thought-"

You were overcome with a coughing fit. Light reached over and patted you on the back to help, causing you to turn bright red from embarrassment.

"Th-thanks, but I'm okay," you said, pulling away.

"Oh, I see," Light said, something flashing in his eyes. He smiled as he asked, "Would you like to walk down to the lobby with me?"

"Uh, sure!" you responded, shrugging. You walked with him to the staircase and started down.

"You know, the elevator would have been a lot faster," you said to him as the two of you strode down the steps. "We are on the 24th floor, you know."

"That's the point," Light said. "I want to get to know you."

"Really?" you asked, slightly surprised. You looked down at your shoes as you added, "Uh, what do you want to talk about?"