Rin x Reader (Free!)

"Rin, where are you going?" you asked your shark-toothed best friend as you chased after him.

"To the pool," he answered, brushing his hair out of his eyes. He tried to stand in a cool position as he said, "And after that I'm working out."

You snickered, and Rin glared at you.

"HEY!" he demanded, crossing his arms. "I really am!"

"I definitely believe you, but I just think it's funny that you're trying to play the whole "cool guy" thing with me when I know better than anyone that you're the biggest dork ever," you teased, grinning.

"Tch! Whatever," Rin said, looking away.

Since he couldn't see, you let yourself smile and blush. You had a huge crush on your best friend, but you always kept it in because you knew that he didn't like you back.

"So... wanna hang out tomorrow?" you asked him, shifting from foot to foot.

Rin's eyes widened.

"Um," he said, looking down at his feet, "I can't."

"Why not?" you pouted, poking his arm.

"I'm... going back to Japan tomorrow."

You stared at him for a moment before laughing.

"Yeah, right. Just man up and say that you don't feel like hanging out! I'm fine with that, you know?"

"I'M NOT JOKING!" he shouted suddenly, making you jump. After a moment, he took a deep breath and said, "I've been putting off telling you because I didn't know how to break it to you."

"Well... I guess I can let it go," you sighed. "When will you come back here to Australia? A week or two?"

"It's permanent," he said quietly. "I'm moving back."

You stared at him in shock, tears welling up in your eyes. You glared at him before yelling, "WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME?! You know what? Why don't you just leave?! I'm not seeing you off tomorrow! If I had known, there's so many things I-"

You started sobbing, collapsing to the ground. Rin awkwardly tried to help you up, but you smacked his hand away.

"Go away," you sniffed. With that, you sprinted to your dormitory.

The next day, you rode with him numbly to the airport. You walked with him until you reached the security checkpoint.

"I'm sorry about yesterday," you said quietly.

"It's fine," Rin responded at the same volume.

The two of you stood, staring at each other, before you said, "So... I guess this is goodbye."

"Yeah," he said.

You gave him a hug. Burying your face in his shoulder, you said, "Bye, Rin."

"Bye, (y/n)," he said, blinking back tears.

----

You woke up with tears streaming down your face. You sat up and looked down at your lap before glancing at the alarm clock on your bedside table.

It's 8:15. About time to wake up. I wish I didn't have to, though - after all, I'm transferring to my new school today.

Coincidentally, about a year after Rin had moved to Japan, you had to move there, too. Your parent had landed a job in a big company and worked there for a few months before getting promoted. After that, you had moved a few cities over and were enrolled in the prestigious Samezuka Academy.