Chapter 2: On my own

"What do you mean you won't tell me anything?!" shouted Dante at the sixty year old, bald, plump principal, Mr. Jefferson.

"I meant exactly what I said, young man. I won't tell you anything. I can't tell you anything. I know someone just died in your classroom. The police is on their way too. Once the killing starts, I'm not allowed to tell you anything." Said the gentle old man. 

Mr. Jefferson was like a grandpa to all of the students of Hollow High. He was reasonable, kind and charming, always trying to help children as much as he could. They would all enjoy coming to his office too. They'd always get out with a full pocket of candy, which they'd share with their classmates, once they returned. 

But today was different. For the well being of others, students and professors, he had to be a strict principal. The kind of principal no one likes. The principal who had to take drastic measures in order for the whole school to stay unharmed. He didn't want to do this. He didn't want to turn his back to students who were expecting help from him, but he had to. He knew he'd feel guilty, just like he felt with previous generations, but that was a burden he was willing to carry. At least, someone had to.

"I must say, Dante, you almost got me fooled. Sometimes, I forget you kids are geniuses. I let my guard down, just like I did a moment ago. I honestly thought you came to discuss a certain new problem you noticed in the school, since you always do that. And the way you indirectly moved the focus of the dispute on your class still fascinates me. You would make a great diplomat, young man." He had to compliment the young man in front of him, especially since he considered Dante as his own grandson. 

"If you don't tell me anything, they'll die!!" fumed the white haired kid. At this point, he was a volcano about to explode. Couldn't his principal see the lives of his classmates were in danger?!

"They'll die?" George Jefferson was surprised. He hadn't expected Dante to choose that set of words. The kid stared at him, getting angrier by the way his superior reacted, as if he wasn't aware of the fate that befell the cursed 'D' class. "Don't you mean "we'll die", Dante? I am fully conscious what you kids will go through from now on." Noticing Dante's heated stare, George decided to give an explanation of his words, hoping that the kid would calm down.

"The reason I emphasized the word "they" is quite logical, if you look at it. The word "they" is directed at your classmates. It doesn't have 'I', meaning you. I'm sure you didn't make a mistake. You purposely left yourself out. You're the first 'D' class president that left himself out." George shifted in his chair, looking the white haired kid directly in his bloody red eyes.

"There are few possibilities why you did so. You either think you'll be among the first ones to die or you think you'll be able to evade death. I'd bet on the second one though. So, how do you know you won't drop dead right here in my office?" George raised his eyebrows at the kid, who was still angry.

A smile appeared on Dante's lips, excitement dancing in his eyes. "I don't know. That's the beauty of it. Since you don't want to help us out, we don't have anything to talk about."

Then he turned around to leave, but before closing the doors to principal's office, Mr. Jefferson called out to him. "We'll have a student council after classes. As a class president, it's your duty to show up, for a change." Dante let out a sigh as he left.

****

Once Dante returned, he was stopped by police officers, who were already questioning his friends. The kids didn't say much, only described what happened. They left out the part about the death poem, since in reality, they were all interested to read what's scribbled on that paper. 

When some of more observing cops asked about an object missing from their professor's table, which was prominent by lack of blood on the place the paper once lay, they all made puzzled faces and negated everything the cops said.