Four: One Of The Good Guys

Jerome:

It was a little past five in the afternoon and the show was going to start very soon. Quinnie said she wanted to see the lions but she had to go back and make sure her friend was okay.

I was looking after Sheba and had this urge to let the snake loose and make the customers all freak out.

Funny innit?

"Jerome?" I turn and see Darla smiling at me. "Yes?"

"You said you would show me your snake. You know, Sheba?" She gives a nervous laugh and I stand up. "That's right. I said I would. Come here." I motion her over to Sheba and she looks over.

"She's beautiful." She comments. "Yeah, she's something." I reach in and hear Darla back up. "What are you doing?"

"You wanted to see her so why not take her out of this old glass box and meet her?"

"No, that's alright. She can stay in her glass box."

"Are you scared of Sheba? I assure you she's harml-ahh!"

"Omigod!" Darla screams and I laugh. "Just joking. See?" I show her my hand and she pouts. "That wasn't very funny Jerome."

"Well I know Quinnie would get a hoot out of that."

"Well I'm not your little girlfriend, Jerome. Besides no offense but I don't think she's fully there in the head."

"Take that back." She back up and I grab her by the wrist. "I said, take that back."

"Fine!" She snatched away from me and walks off. I stare at her as she walks away and look back at Sheba.

"Don't worry, Quinnie will take care of her. I'm sure of it..."

Quinnie:

"Cherry, you have to promise not to embarrass me in front of him."

"I won't, but your my best friend so you know I'm going to grill him." We walk arm in arm right in front of the big tent where we meet Jerome.

"Jerome, this is Cherry. Cherry, this is Jerome." He gives her a nod and looks at me for a minute longer.

"Well ladies, let's go enjoy the show." He leads us into the tent and I notice the crowd isn't as big as it was the night Cherry and I first came.

"Wow, the crowd looks a little light tonight." Cherry voices. "Yeah, I expect that to happen when the G.C.P.D. goes around doing murder investigations."

Cherry gives Jerome a bewildering look and I cuddle up close to him. "Tonight's gonna be special, girls just you see."

"Whys that?" I ask. "You'll see buttercup." I say no more and continue to watch the rest of the show.

***

"Did you see the lions Cherr? I swear I thought they were gonna eat the ringmasters head clean off. Wouldn't that been funny?"

"No, that would be terrible." She walks ahead a bit and Jerome kisses my cheek. "That would have been funny. Now the show is going to be here for about another week and I don't really feel like staying here. Mind if I crash at your place?" My eyes light up. "Sure, I can give you a grand tour. Let me just tell Che-"

"Don't tell anyone I'm staying the night. Keep that between us, huh?" He looks into my eyes and I nod.

"Atta girl. Now before we go, remember Darla?"

I fail trying to keep the digested look off of my face.

"Yeah, your little friend? What about her?"