Tragic Isn't It?

I stared at the mermaid. "I'm a what?"

She laughed, "A tragedy, silly." I stared at her confused, and she sighed, "I hate this part." She swam a little bit away and gestured to herself with a hand. "You don't recognize me?" She did look sort of familiar but I couldn't think of where I'd seen her before, so I just shook my head no. "I'm the little mermaid."

I gasped, "But Drosselmeyer didn't even write that book! And aren't you supposed to be sea foam?"

She glared at me, "You know as well as me that you can live outside your book. And if I'm supposed to be sea foam, you should be a ray of light. We're both supposed to be dead. That's what a tragedy is, a girl who falls in love with a prince only to sacrifice herself so he'll be happy."

I was still shocked, "There are more of us?"

She smiled but her eyes were angry "Yeah authors love to make a naïve young girl fall deeply in love and die for it."

"Then how are both of us still here?"

She swam back to me and grabbed my arm, "That's what I brought you down to tell you. You can escape the story."

I snorted, "I already knew that. I've lived out of mine for 100 years. And clearly you're here right now."

She shook her head, "Not like that. I mean you can escape your fate. You won't be trapped on an endless cycle of saving the prince and him abandoning you time after time. " She looked proud, "I did. I couldn't stand saving my prince, only for him to love someone else, over and over again, every single time someone decided to read my story. So I changed it."

I had only been through my story twice and I knew I never wanted to do it again. I couldn't deal with this happening for all eternity. "How did you do it?" I asked, so hopeful I could make this end.

Her eyes gleamed when she spoke, "I killed him. I killed my prince." 

------------------------------------------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's note:

Hey guys! Sorry this is so late, but I've been studying for many, many tests, and a little bit sick. But I'm at 1K! That's amazing! Thanks so much for reading the story and comment/vote to tell me you like it!

Thanks!- Jumpingintothings